Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

learning

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first cook , but had a terrible time keeping the coals stocked and burning . I was refilling the coals every 30 minutes . Mind you , it is a small chamber ( a handful of coals fills it ) .Do I take the grate out and pile up the lump ? or is the grate needed ? There was no burn outs , the coals just burned fast no matter how I adjusted the slide vent . Am I doing something wrong ?

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Dave, from your profile it looks like you are using a medium BGE - I have had 20 hours on my medium without a refill - I fill the lump to the space above the roung air holes in the fire chamber.

• Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Options
    Dave, just thought I would ask, because you said a handful of lump fills the area. Are you putting the lump in the very bottom of the Egg under the ceramic grate? If so, don't. Put the lump on the ceramic grate and fill at least an inch or so above the side holes. If this isn't the case, please forgive me for even suggesting it as the possible problem.;)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Dave,[p]It sounds like you don't have enough lump or your using briquettes and not lump charcoal. You didn't say what size Egg you have - I only have a large so I can't help much if you have a small or mini. The picture is from my New Users section on my website. The picture shows the average amount of lump I use for grilling at 400-600 for 30-45 min or it will last 3-4 hrs at 225. If your adding lump, then you don't have enough. It does not matter if you fill the fire box full just to do a hot dog - snuff out the fire by placing the rain cap on and bottom vent shut and the fire will go out. Unlike briquettes - the lump can easily be relit and still used. Just stir the ash out of it before you lite it again. There are more pics on the site that might help - linked below.[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE cookbook and stuff[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    lump2.jpg
    <p />Dave,[p]Just reread the post - Is the grate needed??? Yes![p]I forgot to post the dumb picture for you - maybe it will help. [p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim's BGE site[/ul]