Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gingerbread Cake in the Egg

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
More than once when I shut down the Egg after a cook I thought it would be nice to cook something for dessert while we enjoyed our dinner. Tonight I finally did it.

I have to confess that I've cooked LOTS of gingerbread cakes in the indoor oven over the years, using the Betty Crocker mix. I've made so many that it's what I use to calibrate ovens and test cake pans. I thought I'd done the best that could be done with the mix. Enter the BGE.

I finished up tonight's country style spareribs by cranking the dome temperature up from 300º to 350º to "set" the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. Once I saw that the temp was stabile I mixed the egg and water into the cake mix right in the cake pan on the Mates, put it in the Egg, and took the ribs into the house to rest under foil. I checked the cake at 30 minutes - the earliest it could be done, and then only if the temp is too high. It had a way to go so I waited until 40 minutes - 5 minutes more than the package directions. It was just nicely done. The real surprise was when we had a taste just now. "Wow! What did you do?" was Jersey Girl's reaction. I had to agree. It was the moistest gingerbread cake I've ever baked but it also had as good a crust as I can remember. Those two things are usually mutually exclusive. Jersey Girl's next question was, "Do you think you could bake my birthday cake in the Egg?" We'll see.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nice. I'll have to try that. I love gingerbread and cake. Thanks Doug
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE