Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey - Vertical vs. V-Rack???

willmw
willmw Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to do my first turkey. I don't have a vertical roaster thingy...but I do have a V-rack. Is the vertical roaster that much better that I should get one to use instead of my V-rack?[p]Opinions, experiences, yarns, tales & stories welcome :)

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    willmw,[p]I'd use the V rack. [p]I just did a whole turkey earlier this week. I gave a pretty thorough explanation on the forum, as someone else was tackling the same home project.[p]Maybe the link will help.[p]Mike in MN

[ul][li]Turkey [/ul]
  • willmw
    willmw Posts: 41
    Mike in MN,
    How do you position the victim in the V-rack? back, breast, bottom or what down?

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    willmw,
    Yep, we always cook the birds breast down...in their normal walking position.[p]Mike in MN

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    willmw,[p]You might want to go the following page and read the technique portion for the cook.[p]Puj[p]
    [ul][li]PDK Bird - Eggtoberfest 2000[/ul]
  • Rich
    Rich Posts: 67
    willmw,
    I have cooked several turkeys using a vertical roaster and they have all come out great. The largest turkey I could fit in the big was around 18lbs. I use the vertical roaster in drip pan on a pizza stone. I use small ceramic spacers between the drip pan and the pizza stone so the juices don't burn and can be used to make gravy. I think the vertical roaster is a good investment.
    Rich

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    rich,
    I bought a set of Spaneks years ago & reach the same conclusion you have.[p]My family will eat only vertically cooked poultry. Only difference is that we don't use the juices.[p]

• willmw,
    I agree with everyone. Turkey breasts down in the V-rack. I also like injecting thems & putting sage in the rib cavity too. A small piece of fol is you don't want the juices for gravy under it stops the flareups. For whole chickens & turkeys, the vertical roasters ( 2 sizes-small for chix & large for turkey ) work good too. You can even do the beer can thing under a vertical roaster on the big one. You're the cook, do it as to what suits you. Experiment. Any way you try it on the BGE, you'll be happy.