Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Butts

AlwaysGolf
AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my last overnighter for awhile. Put a full packer brisket on for a friend and doing two butts for myself.

Brisket about to go on:

DSC01903.jpg

Brisket with mustard and Saltlick BBQ rub. Didn't get any pics of the butts before I put them on, forgot must be my alzheimers. :)

Will take a few pics in the AM when I check on them. Still no Stoker or Guru, doing the the manual way.

Comments

• Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Why the last overnighter for a while?
  • AlwaysGolf
    Work calls, have to deploy with the troops for a year.
  • AustinEgg
    AustinEgg Posts: 19
    @AlwaysGolf

Be safe over there and hurry home. We'll keep the brisket tender until you return.

God Speed,

AustinEgg
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    AG,

Thank you for your service. We will keep you and yours in our prayers for safety and return.

I hope that great lookng brisket works out for ya.
  • HELP. Just did my first 10 lb brisket on the egg. Read a lot of advice. Put the brisket on at about 11pm at 225 degrees. It was done by 7:00am. Worried all night about leaving it in the egg while I was sleeping.

So now it is done, temperature wise. My hubby wrapped in foil, it is in our cooler.

Here is the concern: We aren't serving until 6:00pm! What do we do with the brisket?

I guess I was so nervous about cooking it (one site said to cook an 11 lb brisket for 18 hours)that we cooked it to early.

Meat is juicy and tender ANY ADVICE how to maintain it? Do we let it hang out in the cooler for three hours? Then what? Do we reheat?

Please help this Kaimuki girl ASAP!

Aloha!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Stay safe!
    And thanks for your service.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Can't comment on how to hold the meat. But it sounds like you should calibrate your thermometer.
  • AlwaysGolf
    I agree with adam, sounds like thermo needs calibrating. Mine went on at about 11 and only at 170 right now and that is with a 2-3 hour spike at about 350 degrees. It can hold in the cooler for a while, as long as you don't keep cutting,eating it . I would think that you could place it in the oven later on to reheat with some beef broth in a pan and covered.
  • Thanks for the help. The internal temp of the meat got to 205 on a Polder thermometer and an instant read thermometer.

I am restraining from cutting and eating. I will hold it for a while. Do you think I should slice it when I reheat or reheat whole.

Sorry to sound so clueless...this is the first time we have done a brisket. We have not had problems with turkey or other cuts of meat.

Thanks and have a great day.

Aloha.
  • sassy-q
    sassy-q Posts: 16
    Oh no! Please be safe, don't work too hard, and be back in time for the Texas Eggfest, you hear?