Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubber Chicken

Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got through eating a rubber chicken. 5.2 lbs. of misery. Actually, the tenderloin was edible. I cooked it on a vertical roaster over a drip pan @ 375* for around an hour and a half. The temp reached 160*, and I pulled it off. Thought everything would be wonderful. Any idea what happened? A guy in the produce dept. recommended that size for slow cooking. Unfortunately, my wife did the shopping. I just don't have time to go grocery shopping. [p]First Bad "Eggsperience"

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    bfchicken&v2.jpg
    <p />Bigsmoke:[p]Did you indeed have a roaster? Roasters are older, tougher birds that benefit from "low and slow" cooking. Next time try a whole fryer . . .
    [/b]
  • Bigsmoke
    Bigsmoke Posts: 30
    djm5x9,[p]"Timmy" in the produce dept. recommended that size. He said a whole fryer wouldn't work. I'll know from now on. Thanks.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    djm5x9,[p]You keep posting pictures like that and you may end up with an uninvited dinner guest :~)[p]Dang good looking cook ole buddy!

• Linda
    Linda Posts: 13
    Bigsmoke,I had trouble cooking a chicken recently also. I was using a fryer. I used the vertical roaster and the dome temp was about 325 and I brought it down to about 300 most of the time. I cooked 1 1/2 hour or so. I used an instant read thermometer and thought the temp was about 170 in the thigh or a little higher. The jucies all ran clear when I cut it, but it really seemed like it was undercooked and not as tender as it should be. Anyone know what my problem might be?

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    djm5x9,[p]Great advice! I had the same experience last night. The wife bought a huge 7+ pounder. I cooked for about t an hour and a half, but was not truly happy with the results. Guests were happy![p]Smokey

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Bigsmoke,
    I bought a stewing chicken once, went through all the business, cooked it up and it was just like rubber. Thru the whole thing out. Now I know. Never again. It looked good, and was sized right.[p]Only thing they are good for is for boiling the life out of 'em for soup broth, and then toss everything.[p]Whole fryers. [p]Mike in MN

• Bigsmoke,
    I have done both fryers and roasters in both vertical and spratched method with great results. My wife says this is the best thing I do (on the egg that is!!). I generally do them at about 250-300 for 1-2 hours until the juices are clear and the wings come out when pulled on lightly. I have two on right now as I send this, hope this doesn't jinx them. I do buy fresh quality birds from Butterball or Tyson, I prefer Butterballs. I know this didn't answer your question, you might check the thermometer, over cooking might cause this or check the egg thermometer.

• Bigsmoke,
    i do whole chickens all the time. .. i get whole fryers, usually in the 4 - 4 1/2 pound size, and i beer butt them. .. 1 1/2 hours at 325 on a raised grid over an inverted plate setter (no drip pan, but i wrap the plate setter in aluminum foil to keep it clean). . .they always come out excellent. . .did two of them on thursday. . .375 sounds a little high for roasting a bird, vertical or otherwise. . .