Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt is stubborn

SabbatSabbat Posts: 26
edited 11:13PM in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I`m in the middle of cooking a 12 lb pork butt following Elder Ward`s recipe and about 2 hrs ago (after 12hrs or so of cooking at 210F), it stabilized at 165 so I threw the bottom vent of my egg open to get the dome temp to 300, and now the internal temp of my butt is not moving... should I worry about my probe or is this normal?
Thanks in advance!!!
nick
·

Comments

• Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    You are in the "plateau"....totally normal! I wouldn't jack the egg up too high though! Patience....... ;) ... Time, and patience! ;)
    ·
  • Cory430Cory430 Posts: 1,072
    Its normal, knock your dome temp back down to 250°. You don't want to go through this stage super fast. Might as well grab a drink or or 10 'cause you still got a loooooong way to go.
    ·
  • SabbatSabbat Posts: 26
    Good to know, my Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998 Reserve is on the rocks and I`m relaxing again :P
    ·
    Patience isn`t the problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in trouble. Want to make sure I don't run out of bourbon during the waiting game :P
    N.
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Knock the temp down to 250 and relax Padawan!!

You want fast food go to McDonald's :)

Superlative cooking takes time and patience. It will be done when it is done.
    ·
  • Cory430Cory430 Posts: 1,072
    That's going to depend on the size of the bottle :laugh: you still got several hours left.
    ·
    Guess that gives me enough time to run to the liquor store then :P
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    If you are already liquored up I suggest you send the wife.. Unless she is too.. :woohoo:
    ·
    not size of the bottle to shape of the drinker`s liver :P
    ·
    The beer and liquor store are walking distance. I have prime real estate here!!!
    ·
    UPDATE: After bringing down the dome temp to 250, the Butt just pulled away from 165. Bye bye plateau. Thanks all, next glass of whiskey is to your health.
    ·