Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Its like starting over again.

Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As many know, I upgraded from a medium to a large egg. Well I love the large, but during my first overnight cook, my fire went out and I had to add more lump. I thought I had perfected the technique, but its different enough on a large that I have to learn it all again (but I'm up to the challenge)! Now I'm thinking of getting a small to keep the large and the mini company![p]Smokey

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Smokey ,[p]Join the club. I love the small. Of course I love the large and love the mini! But have to admit I use the small the most.[p]I finally got this overnight fire thing right. Did that brisket the other night by putting a small amount of charcoal in...getting it hot and bothered..and then adding lump to the top. Took longer, but by the time the temp was where I was going...everything was smoldering evenly. I got it at 235 and threw on brisket and went to sleep. That thing didn't move a DEGREE all night. I got up about 3 in paranoid state (borders Texas) and checked it. Perfect temp. Got up at 5 for good (my personal dementia) and still at 235. Stayed there exactly till end of the cook a couple hrs later. I was so impressed I could hardly stand it.[p]Good luck with your new large! Send more baby pix![p]mShark
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    MollyShark,[p]Word is that there are alot of pre-owned smalls at the BGE store. I may have to pay the a visit![p]Smokey

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    You won't regret it, Smokey. I brought my new baby home last week and it cooks like a dream.[p]Jim
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    MollyShark,
    When you start your fire that way, do you put the smoking wood on top of the hot coals before adding more lump, or do you put it on top of the newly added lump?

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    SteveO,[p]I put it all the way on top. Otherwise it seems to be smoked out before all your lump is really ready enough to put the brisket on.[p]mShark