Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's hear more about your methods

Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in Weight Loss Forum
I think this forum would be a lot more useful if we talked about more than how much we weigh every week. Does anyone else feel that way?

I will start by saying I'm motivated because I can hardly bend over to get my shoes tied. For the last two weeks I've been combining WeightWatchers Points system (oh yes, I've been down this road before) and having 5 or 6 SMALLER meals a day so supposedly I won't ever get ravenously hungry.

My worst time of day is late at night (go to bed about 1 AM) and frantically opening cupboard and refrigerator/freezer doors and settling for chewing flavored gum. I just saw Skinny Cow now has ice cream bars in the market freezer section, and if you haven't tried their frozen desserts, they are highly recommended!

That's probably all you guys want to hear about me, but I'd sure like to hear what's worked for you, and hasn't worked, and whatever you can contribute. You never know what is just the thing some other participant needs to know!

Judy
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    im on the beer diet. :whistle: figure its the only diet i could maintain. mon/wed/fri i keep it under 500 calories of nuts and berries,cerial, fruits and veggies and under 1500 calories of beer. tues/thu is 1500 calories beer no food. sat/sunday all the beer meat and cheese i want. i dont get hungry anymore. i do miss bread but there is no desire for sweets for me. i did cheat yesterday and ate a small chicken broccoli pie at the butcher shop while picking up an 8 pound brisket, ill eat the brisket this weekend, might even pick up a potato to go with it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Judy Mayberry
    You rock! Thanks for a great laugh to start the day!
    Judy in San Diego
  • My method so far has been primarily a reduction in consumption. I started by simply halving the amount of food I was eating. I usually eat just 2 meals a day, lunch and dinner. I started halving my dinner and taking the rest to work for lunch the next day. If we go out to dinner, we will either split a meal or halve it on the plate and take the rest home for the next day.

My biggest problem is snacking, although I'm long asleep by 1 AM. I just portion out snacks and that seems to work. If I'm having grapes, I grab a single handfull off the bunch and that's it. If it's pretzels, I grab a small handfull. I also keep the source of the snacks way away from me. If I'm watching a ballgame, I have to go upstairs to the kitchen to get the food. The bag of pretzels doesn't come to the recliner because before I know it, I've eaten half the bag. I give myself one snack in the evening, but never within and hour or so of going to bed.

I didn't really cut out anything, although I try to avoid bringing Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream into the house. :whistle: Evil stuff...

This time a year there is a little exercise thrown in with outdoor activities, but I've lost weight before with lots of exercise, but it's not a lifestyle I will keep up and the weight came back.

It's all a matter of finding something that works for you. I think I finally have after many starts and stops over the years. I'm within 12 pounds of my target weight now. But this time I don't see that as the end. When I reach it, it doesn't mean I can sit down with a whole pan of lasagne and inhale it. It means I've achieved a major goal and hopefully a lifestyle change that will enable me to stay there.

Good luck!!
  • Judy

I think it is a great idea.

I can't bend over to tie my shoes but I think it is because of my age. I have only gained the weight because of my age. My weight has nothing to do with the fact that I love to eat and now own three eggs, two large and one small, and it is just me and my wife.

However on the serious side, I do exercise four to six hours a week but like I said I love to eat and do I ever love to cook. So I am in a vicious cycle. I exercise therefore I eat.

Unfortuantely, i have not been able to brake that cycle.

this week has been exceptionaly bad for me a because I am a grandfater who does not work so I take care of the grandson (this is not chore but a joy) My wife still works (I admit I am a kept man and I love it) but with that goes obligations. for instance my wife's office had a very successful month so she promised them a meal. Guess who gets to cook it. I do and it is for forty people but I love it. I have been cooking and tasting for three days so no exercising.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Brad and John, you hit on two really important things: Cutting down on portion size, and adding exercise.

It's surprising how fast you get used to cutting down on portions of higher calorie stuff on your plate and using more vegetables. My real weakness is ice cream, and if I say I'll just use a tiny spoon and scrape off a little bit, I end up sitting with the carton in my lap and about 2/3 of the ice cream gone. Even with a tiny spoon. I can't bring myself to even spoon a little into a dish--seems like self-abuse to just eat a little. So I don't bring it home at all.

I tried dieting without exercise and It was slo-o-o-ow going. Now , at the YMCA I started using a circuit of small elementary versions of the big machines, then 10 minutes on a treadmill outfitted with a TV (bring your own earphones). I thought I'd hate it, but surprisingly, it's a fun 40 minutes because I can watch TV and forget what I'm doing!

What I use my Large Egg with raised grid for is cooking when the family comes to visit--corn in the husk takes up a lot of room, steaks, whatever they want to eat. I use my Small Egg a lot more--spatchcock chicken and a trimmed tri-tip roast, studded with garlic slivers and rubbed with Dizzy's Red-Eye Express, give me enough lean meat for many, many meals.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I started with the weight watchers point system...what it really taught me is portion control. I added in exercise and have now taken up running again.

I no longer count pts, at least actively, but I have learned to eat in control...My wife is losing with me. We have two young children. We are changing our lifestyle to be more active and healthy. We still cheat each week. We just limit it to 1 or 2 meals a week, instead of 4 or 5 nights.

51 lbs down and about 5 more to go......
  • Judy Mayberry
    Chris:

I'm dumbfounded. 51 lbs.!!!!! How long have you been at it? It's great to have role models to show me it can be done.

I'm doing the points and taking short (exhausting) walks with hills, and trying to go to the gym 2 or three times a week.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • It can definitely be done. When Rod posts the bi-weekly results, he sometimes includes the cumulative weight lost by the group since Jan 1 and it is pretty impressive.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I hit that magic 50 pounds lost number, then promptly gained a couple back and have been in a rut for about 4-5 weeks.

For me, it is simply exercise. I do 3-4 miles on the treadmill every morning before work and before the kids get out of bed. I have gradually increased the pace and incline over the past few months. I ride my mountain bike a couple times a week - usually 90-120 minutes over some pretty tough terrain to really get the heart rate up.

I watch what I eat. I don't deprive myself of anything, I just enjoy it more slowly and eat a little less of whatever we're having.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,738
    exercise :ohmy: i knew it :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Thanks....since Jan 1. I was a good athlete in high school and 15 years later, well I slipped a little. Just getting back into it, and like Rod, still eating just less of it...

That is why I really like the pts system to start. Taught me how to stay in control. Now I don't track what I eat, just eat reasonable.