Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rainy day egging technique

Options
Aron
Aron Posts: 170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking burgers in the rain last night and got to thinking about my technique.

On nice days, I keep my lower vent mostly closed and control temp by opening the daisy wheel/slider. For burgers (which I do around 400 degrees), this usually means daisy wheel/slider top open all the way and lower vent open 1-2 inches at most. When it rains, I tend to close the slider top completely so only the small holes are open on the daisy wheel (so less rain into the egg) and keep the lower vent almost fully open to get to 400.

Both ways control the temp just fine and produce great food like only the egg can. Just curious if anyone tends to do the same rainy day technique modification. I haven't really done any experiments to see if lump burns at a different rate --anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Interesting. Now that I have functioning gaskets on all three Eggs I have been shutting town the DFMT a lot more and tending to shut the screen on the lower vent but leave the slider open a lot longer. I've noticed no difference in the cooks, lump usage or anything else.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Same principle is in action - you are controlling airflow through the egg either at the intake or at the exhaust.

This is why when folks need to make an adjustment to get a target temp the prevailing wisdom is to change one or the other, but not both vents at the same time.

After some period of experience you will be able to light your egg, set your vents and walk away - coming back in 30 minutes to find your egg within a reasonable distance of the temp your intended when you lit it. It will just become second nature.
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I find I have to do what you are suggesting when the wind comes up it has a much biggerimpact if the bottom vent is any wider than it needs to be for a given temperature. THe top matters less in the wind.

Doug
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Doug in Eggmonton wrote:
    I find I have to do what you are suggesting when the wind comes up it has a much biggerimpact if the bottom vent is any wider than it needs to be for a given temperature. THe top matters less in the wind.
    That's a good point. It could explain some issues I've been having.