Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Help

Options
Zilm-disabled
Zilm-disabled Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan on cooking my first turkey this weekend on my egg and would like to request any help/suggestions that anyone might have to offer. I am having my brother and his wife over for their birthdays and would really like to show him up. He seems to think that there is no difference between the BGE and a traditional water smoker. I really would like for him to eat a large helping of crow via the smoked turkey in my BGE. Time, marinades etc would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Zilm,
    Cook it on a Spanek, vertical unit until the internal temp reaches 180.[p]I brine mine overnight & dry in the frig for 24 hours. Then you may use a rub and/or stuff seasonings under the skin.[p]I mist every hour with olive oil & apple juice.[p]

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    Zilm,
    Pecan wood for smoke if you can get it.
    Seth

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Zilm,
    Did one last night. 12.8 pounds before I started. [p]I brined it (salt, sugar, seasonings, herbs) for a couple of hours, then it was dried, and rubbed with flavored olive oil, seasoned and placed over a drip pan with onions, garlic, jalapenos, bay leaves, seasonings, water, and grilled junk turkey parts (liver, heart, etc).[p]The cavity had a chopped apple, 1/2 of a chopped lemon, garlic, and some onion. I used a plate setter and a pizza stone, then my drip pan.[p]I used a small amount of apple chunks and some pecan. The BGE (and platesetter) was preheated to 425. After cooking the bird the first 15 minutes I allowed the temp to drop to 325. After 1.5 hours, I dropped the temp to 275 and left it at this until it was almost done.... I did bump the temp to 315 towards the end to hurry it a bit. It spent 4 hours on the grill, and it was not quite as far along as I had hoped (time element) [p]The turkey was wonderful. In fact, I was quite surprised at how moist it was. The juice did run out...tender and moist. [p]The dome was opened once to check the water level in the drip pan, and I opened it one more time during the last 15 minutes to add a baste of butter, lemon, and capers. The skin browned up real nice during the first 30 minutes at the higher temp. [p]What would I do different? Just let it go a little longer. I had 2 probes going. One in the breast, and 1 in one leg. The leg was at about 205, and the center of the breast was at 166 when I pulled it. I had wanted to go to about 175, but ran out of time. I left it sitting under loose foil for about 15 minutes before butchering it (I mean carving) It fell apart....[p]I had a houseful of guests. Fed 12. Picked clean except for a couple of areas that could've been on the grill a little longer... [p]The leftovers have been turned into soup already. (That worked too!) [p]Mike in MN