Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back--direct or indirect

Options
Poncho
Poncho Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Folks,
I've only done baby back ribs over direct coals. The came out excellent. I was wondering, though, if indirect would be better? Your thoughts?
Poncho

Comments

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Poncho,
    Indirect...the only way. [p]One method is marinate them in pineapple or grapefruit juice over night. I use the 2 gallon plastic bags with a "built-in" sealer. The cost more but prevent disaster. I had ribs marinating overnight & the gravity was at work when we slept. The seal opened & the marinade ran out. A mess & an unhappy wife.[p]After taking them out of the marinade, coat them with mustard & then cover them with a rub of your choice.[p]Stabilize your temp at 225. I use a grate, pizza stone & drip pan. I will now use a plate setter since I discovered it, thanks to the wire.[p]I cut my ribs in half for easy handling & placement. Lay them flat...most contestants in BBQ do.[p]I mist them each hour with olive oil & apple juice. [p]You can tell "by feel" when they are done. Pick up a slab with your tongs. Grasp it in the middle. When it bends, they are done.[p]If you need to hold them, wrap them in film 905 & place then in a styrofoam cooler.[p]You may add a sause the last 30 minutes. We don't use sauce in our family.[p]Let me hear how they came out.[p]

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Poncho,[p]I've done both, but use direct exclusively. The cook is slightly faster and I am very happy with the results.[p]Keep em Smokin - Direct,
    Jethro

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    Options
    Poncho,
    I cooked 12 racks of ribs indirect last weekend for friends that came over. The night before, i sprayed them with apple cidar vinegar and then covered them with Bad Byron's Butt Rub. I used the extender to have two layers of ribs. I cooked them at 225 to 250 degrees for 3 hours. At 3 hours, I took them off and foiled them, not individually, but 4 racks per set. I then put them back on for another for another 1 & 1/2 hours. After cooking them in the foil for 1 & 1/2 hours, i took them off and sauced them with some BBQ sauce (any kind you like would be ok), wrapped them back up in the foil and cooked them for another 30 minutes. They turned out tender and tasty. So basically, in 5 hours you can have great tasting ribs that pull right off the bone with no worry about burning them because you are cooking indirectly.
    PS: This is how my brother David, who is an egghead too, taught me how to cook them.
    Jim

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Poncho,
    While both methods can produce good results, I have had better luck going indirect rather than direct. I peel off the membrane on the back side, coat with mustard and let set over night, then cook indirect at 225°-250° for 4-5 hours, spritzing with apple juice every hour or so. I don't use sause, but if you can add it the last half hour.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_04_0018_21_02.jpg
    <p />Poncho, the best method for ribs is the method that you and your family like the best![p]Life is GOOD :~}

[ul][li]My Usual Ribs[/ul]
  • JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    Gfw,
    I had my doubts about the foil at first.
    I am now a believer!
    The last 3 rib cooks have been done the GFW way and I won't be going back...[p]JodyMo

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Poncho,[p]I cook babybacks indirect for 3 hrs at 250*; then in foil indirect for 1 hr; then indirect 45 min. out of foil; then 45 min. direct with sauce slathered on last 30 min. Works great every time.