Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

gasket installation

Options
Bigbawb
Bigbawb Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, Just purchased some gasket material from BGE for my small and having trouble with the adhesion, I cleaned and scraped off all the old stuff -wiped it down w/ denatured alcohol........... any suggestions?? thanks Bigbawb

Comments

• bigbawb,[p]Round wire brush on the end of a drill. Careful not to auger off too much, just the residue.[p]Worked for me after I fried my gasket in a high-temp moment of stupidity.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    bigbawb,
    I went through this process also, and found that in my situation power tools were not the answer. A stronger solvent was. I got some MEK from a paint store, and some acetone I had sitting around.
    If you use the MEK solvent, be sure to wear impervious gloves and do not breath the vapors. Work outside. Same for acetone. Use the MEK first and the acetone for final cleanup.
    Scrape off as much as possible of the remaining old felt. Scrub the old adhesive off with a terrycloth (not paper towels) soaked in the solvent. This stuff will definitely remove the old adhesive.
    chuckls

• Pivotizer,
    How do you avoid frying the gasket? i love the high heat sear.

• mktimber,
    My damage was due to a small explosion and not proper use.[p]btw that Trex method really works - I was skeptical, but am now a convert.

• pivotizer,
    sear and dwell -- it is the only way to cook a steak.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    mktimber, best way to avoid the burnt gasket is to distance yourself from that wimpy felt gasket and install a Rutland. I'm going on 3 years with the same Rutland.

[ul][li]Rutland instructions[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.