Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to Season - A great Article

edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Great article on salting meat day(s) in advance. I learned something new today.

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/the-juicy-secret-to-seasoning-meat

Comments

• SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    I agree a great article. I will have to try that experiment with chicken next time I cook. I usually season my chicken an hour or so before cooking. Now I will have to try to season it the day or two before.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Good article,thanks for posting

Ross
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i always season just before cooking, explians why my wings come out on the salty side, ill have to remember that :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Interesting article, it definitely has to go on the to do list for chicken.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    interesting. the pork test, though, is odd. i'm not sure i believe their small sampling...

salting beforehand is not going to "dry out" meat. i don't care what they said about the one experiment with pork.

you cannot remove so much moisture by merely seasoning with salt, that it dries out the meat. you could layer a half inch of salt on a steak, and stab it like a mental patient with a fork, and it won't be truly dry unless you overcook it.

we were talking yesterday about making prosciutto (duck). BURY a whole breast for 24 hours in kosher salt. end of 24 hours, the salt is merely damp. sure, it has removed moisture. but even burying it won't dry it out. the stuff is still flexible. and after a week of air drying it, it STILL is moist and flexible when you eat it. pork prosciutto is basically a ham that is dusted all over with salt and hung for a year. the purpose is to dry it out and make it inhospitable to bacteria, preserving it. and still slicing it yields a still-moist product.

they just overcooked their pork, hahaha . the only way to truly make meat dry is to overcook it. or, like with salt cod, to bury it in salt and air dry it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    pork does seem to cure faster than the other meats though, 24 hours with a rub and its already getting that ham flavor, they didnt mention that
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    i dunno. the only thing that makes pork into ham is curing salt with sodium nitrite. that's the stuff that changes the color and texture.

you might get some flavors that are different, but i don't think it's truly "hammy"

i've left ribs for a week under dry rub, after losing the window of time to cook them. they were still great a week later....

i guess i'm just saying that their comment was that the pork seasoned a day before was dry. that's foolishness. it isn't possible....
  • fishlessman
    tastes a bit hammy to me, almost as bad as solution added :laugh: im last minute with ribs and butts, ribs especially
    fukahwee maine

• stike
    you are a pretty astute dude. i don't think you are imagining anything
  • Thanks for putting that up.

Very interesting.

Doug