Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs this weekend

Options
Chef Amy
Chef Amy Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've surfed the archives for tips on cooking beef ribs - trying them for the first time this weekend. I found a lot of discussion on things that went wrong, but never found a discussion on what folks did when they turned out great.[p]In digesting all the tips, I will try the following - rub the night before, cook in the 220-240 range and use the general 3-2-1 rule that applies to pork ribs, but extend the cooking time to 8 hours or longer. Wrap them in foil/towels when done cooking for a few hours before serving.[p]Anyone have great success with beef ribs? Intuitively, I would think them to be tough like briskett and therefore needing a long cook like briskett.[p]Any insights are appreciated!

Comments

• ChefAmy,[p]You could probably do a 4-2-1 method and that would work. They come out of the foil, pretty soft, so they do need to "firm-up". I add a little liquid in the foil, before wrapping. Enjoy.

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    ChefAmy,
    If the ribs you cook are short ribs with layers of meat and fat on top of them, then lo-n-slo - like a brisket - will result in great food. We cook this type of beef rib to an internal temp of 200. If you refer to the long ribs with little meat between the bones, these are very lean; very little fat. They are difficult to cook, and lo-n-slo often makes for tough "shoe leather". Let us know what you have, how you did them, and how they taste. Good luck.

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    ChefAmy,[p]I have done them exactly ONE time. Turned out great. Here's how I did them.[p]HTH,
    Rich G.

[ul][li]My Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    ChefAmy,
    Not to discourage you, but to me Beef Ribs the hardest thing to cook and get right. However, when they are cooked correctly the rewards are great. If you do not cook them lo’n’slo enough, you end up with chewy fatty meat. If they are overcooked, you end up with greasy crunchy ribs.[p]The first piece of advice is to go light on the seasoning, maybe just salt, pepper and garlic powder. You are looking for a complimentary flavor of the beef. If you do use a rub, make sure that it is a beef rub and not a pork rub. Great examples of this are Dizzy Pig’s Cow Lick or Elder Ward’s Rub from his World Class Brisket recipe. For the first time, try the simple method.[p]Next, whatever you do use a drip pan or you will have a monster grease fire on your hands. Beef ribs render a lot of fat. I would skip the foil in this case. I would cook the beef ribs only over the drip pan with out any other ceramic mass. Five hours at 250 should do the trick.[p]Do not use smoking wood, or use very little. My recommendation is Red Oak. If you have some, mix some mesquite charcoal in with the lump. If you add some mesquite chips, go easy on them since can produce bitter smoke for a long cook.[p]Finally, have some steaks ready for a backup plan. Although I am sure that you will not need them, I am speaking from past experience.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I just did some 2 weeks ago. First and formost, find good healthy ribs. Try not to get store bought pre trimmed. Look for some that are still in the cyro-vac packs, untrimed. Next remove the webing on the back side ***very important***
    part! I did my for 3.5 hours indirect with fire bricks and no drip pan, no grease fire. I didnt use any sauce until they came off. I wraped them in foiled for 1.5 hours with out the fire bricks in place.
    WATCH OUT FOR LEAKING GREASE WHEN REMOVING.
    When I took them out I put them in a flexiable cooler and ate them 2 hours later, still hot and very good. each one was rubbed differently. I have done beef ribs for years with a pit smoker and this was easier, oh yea, held them at 190-210 for the entire cooking time.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BeefRibs06_12_0017_56_02.jpg
    <p />ChefAmy, check out the link - I've done them about twice - me thinks they are too much work for the result - I much prefer baby backs. [p]
    [ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]