Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Style Small Worth the Extra $??

Options
JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning to buy a small Egg to go with my large. My local dealer just got a new shipment in. He has a new small that just came in for $349 and an older model for $279. Apparently the only difference is the hinge... Is it worth the extra $70??

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    JK, I believe you can buy a replacement hinge for less than $70 OTOH does the new one also have a metal fire grate vs the old ceramic one? Another difference depending on how old the "old one" is, but the dome thermometer may not be the newer one and lastly -though in the old one's favor is how was the dome hole drilled? Toward the center or straight down. Either way you'll like the combo of a small and a large.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    JK,[p]YES YES YES YES. I just bought the new hinge for my small and my mini. WORLDS of difference. Like now I can actually get the food IN the egg instead of having to squish it down to Gumby thickness. You can get in to turn the stuff without leaving welts on your wrists. Yes. Do it.[p]mShark
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JK,[p]We bought our small from the dealer on 34th Street just about a year ago. It had the old hinge. I think I paid $54.95 for the new hinge, plus shipping. The difference in the opening from the old to the new is WELL worth the money...like night and day.[p]We changed our old one out ourselves, so it isn't rocket science, but did take a little effort and time. If I could have bought the thing all done and ready to go, I'd have probably done it...[p]That said, we have not had good service at the 34th Street dealer. When we had a problem we were told we had to speak with the manager about it and he never returned our calls. Don't know if you are using him or the one near Home Depot, but that was our experience.[p]Regardless of whether you get the old one and get the hinge from headquarters, or buy the new one, you're gonna LOVE it! The small is just right for lots of things, my favorite right now being steaks. I've never had a steak at home as good as the ones that come off my small![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    JK,
    My dealer was selling the small with the old hinge about at the same price that yours is, but it came without the daisy wheel top and thermometer. When the new small came with the new hinge, it was $330 but it now included the top and thermometer. Did you see what was included with each one?[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    JK,
    All good advice below. I added the new hinge to
    my small a month ago, and I believe that it takes
    the small from a "nice to have", to a serious cooker.
    Chuck

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Cooked steaks tonight on my new small. I believe my larges are going to feel neglected!! I'm impressed.[p]Jim
  • JK
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Thanks. From everyone's advice, it looks like the new model is the way to go. I bought my large Egg at the 34th street store; but they have the new small at the store behind Home Depot and it's a lot closer to home. No complaints about either place. I'm really looking forward to having the small.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    JK,
    A million times, yes. I just installed my new hinge about a month ago on the Small (still waiting for the new Large hinge to arrive) and I can't believe how much easier it is to use. It's funny, though; old habits die hard. Now, even though my new hinge makes opening and closing "like butter," I brace myself for the big effort which still startles me when it doesn't happen. I need to replace the grate, which cracked recently, so if the metal grate's included in the higher price, I'd say it's worth it, too. Just my 2 cents'. BTW, I LOVE the Large/Small combo.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• JK
    Options
    RRP,[p]Just wanted to say thanks to all for your advice. I got the new small. After looking at both it was a no-brainer. Plus it comes with a metal fire grate. Can't wait to fire it up. The small nest and Egg don't have a snug fit, however...is that typical?