Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new Small gasket overhang

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
took a closer look at my still-in-box Small, the extra set of felt gaskets has a note that explains why it was offered - reported adhesive problem with the batch. quite disappointed with the workmanship because the installed gaskets overhang inside the egg all around. problematic adhesive plus poor installation is a disaster waiting to happen.

should i trim the gasket? removed and reinstall with 3M Super 77? get a nomex? it's a lot easier to fix the gasket before assembly.

for example, on the dome there are spots where the overhang is almost 3/16 inch.

Picture001-5.jpg
canuckland

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's pretty sorry workmanship, to say the least. You can take it off immediately and replace it with the spare they sent, or you can wait until it comes pealing off (which it most certainly will!). I had one of these questionable gaskets come peeling off during a demo cook at my dealer and that was no fun at all! If I were you, I'd go ahead and cook to your heart's content until it's obvious it needs to be replaced........
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Canugghead,

I saw this on my mini and maybe the small, I just figured same gasket material used on all the eggs. The gasket melts down to a custom fit...no worries mate.

I do a full load burn in all new eggs to seal gaskets and pratice temp control.

Enjoy your new egg.

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • Canugghead
    Options
    thanks egret, think i might just go ahead and use till it fails.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    thanks jim, at what temp should i do the full load inaugural burn?
    canuckland
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Gary:

That's exactly how mine was, except on some parts the overhang was on the inside and others it was on the outside. Very poor workmanship!

There was also a seam where the gasket material met. I unlike you didn't receive a replacement gasket in the box.

The first cook was around 300, the gasket came off part way through the second cook around 350-400 degrees. First the bottom, then the top - it just peeled right off.

DSC03199.jpg

The seal is still really good without the gasket. I'm tempted to cook without the gasket, but I'm also temped to replace the gasket now on the nice new ceramic. I'm pi$$ed that we can't get nomex up here.

Do I wait for a nomex care package, replace with a felt gasket (which my dealer will try to charge me for) or cook with out a gasket. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

Michael
  • Canugghead
    Options
    michael, call the mother ship and ask for Bruce, he might send a nomex at no cost, BUT to a US address only. last year he was very sympathetic and sent it to my buddy in US for my large.

it appears that our smalls, bought around the same time and with similar 'defects', came from the same hen. wondering if mine came with spare gaskets but yours didn't because i bought in Michigan and you bought in Ontario :whistle:
    canuckland
  • RGBHV
    Options
    I'm wondering if mine had a spare gasket and the dealer (or someone) replaced the original with the spare - like I said, there was a noticeable seam where the gasket met - I didn't see that on my large.

The egg hadn't been used - it was still white hen I got it.

I've got lots of friends in various parts of the US, but so far this year no one has come across the the border. It's only a matter of time.

Personally, I don't want to drive 4 hrs return for a gasket and some DP rubs, etc. As time goes by, my desperation my increase! Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Michael: Although I eventually had mine replaced with nomex, I cooked for about a month with no gasket. Could not tell a difference in the way it held temp. It does take a little longer to shut down so you do waste a little lump for the next cook. But by all means, cook on it in the interim

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Good point...

It's a small...how much longer can it take to cool down.

Compared to my large, hardly any lump goes in the small.

Michael
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Canugghead,

I do the 350*F a good all round cooking temp.

Def keep below 400.

Jim
    Snellville, GA
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Thanks Jim.
    canuckland