Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Sheets

Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many of us have used cedar and alder planks for various cooks.
I have started to notice in different "Q" related sites and stores cedar sheets.
Has anyone used them and what comments. TIA!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think it's a marketing gag.

think about it.

merely placing food ON a plank doesn't do anything for flavor, just looks pretty. It's the smoke from the underside that flavors the cook.

wrapping a tube of cedar veneer (it's what they line hope chests with) would look pretty, but it would keep the smoke away from the meat (assuming it even smoked). only place for the smoke to do its thing would be at the open ends. but the cedar is so thin, you're probably advised to NOT go direct, therefore, no smoke.

if you thought planks were overpriced (and they are), imagine how much cash they make slicing cedar to a 64th of an inch thick and charging whatever they charge for ten sheets.

don't fall for it....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Yea! Think Lowe's will get a veneering machine so I can continue to buy my cedar there, just have it cut thinner???
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    shingles, baby. think shingles. thinnest throwaway cedar planks there is. soaks up the water in 20 minutes or so. cut off the thin end.

not treated, unless specifically labeled as treated.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Richard Fl
    Got to be a northern thing. Have not seen any here in florida.
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Are the singles really ok to use? Always walk by them at Lowe's and never wanted to grill with them out of fear of some bad chemicals!
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering