Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Med. v. Large Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, after lurking for a while you all have convinced me the egg tool for both high temp grilling and long and slow smoking -- just what I'm looking for. What I don't know is what size I need given the cost and size dif b/w the med. and the large. Is there a functional difference in the smoking or grilling abilities of the two? I am very attracted to the slow smoking abilities of the egg, so if the squatter medium can't smoke as low and slow as the large, I think I have my answer -- any thoughts?[p]Also, is the med. big enough to do 4-6 1/2 slabs of ribs assuming you stand them on edge on a rack? Or a couple of 3-4 lb. butterflied chickens?[p]tia,
mike

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    mtm,[p]If money is not really an issue, it's a no brainer. Get the large. Most folks who get a medium wish they had gotten a large. That being said, the medium will do everything the large can do.[p]Jim
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    JSlot,[p]You are absolutely right! Had my medium for a few years and cook everything I wanted. I just upgraded to a large. I love the extra space, but the medium will do it all, just not as much space![p]Smokey
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Smokey ,[p]We sure do love her...! She's rapidly turning into our favorite "child", hee hee! And the road trip was just what I needed that weekend. Will you be at Eggtoberfest? It'd be nice to actually spend a little time visiting, since we didn't get much of a chance the day we breezed through...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey
    QBabe,[p]I saw her in one of your pics. Looked very happy. You know, I miss my baby. I love the large but he needs company (more than just the mini ... could a small be in my future?).
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    mtm,[p]I went for a large BGE last week and am very happy. Check the link below for pics of brisket, ribs, chicken, & trout on my BGE. I've cooked 6 days in a row on it and now I'm heading out of town for a few days. My wife will have to fend for herself now. :)[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

[ul][li]BBQ pics[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mtm,[p]I bought a medium a few months ago. As I only cook for 2-4 people, its the perfect size, and I've yet to wish I had a large. For ribs, I use a webber rib rack and I can get up to 8 racks (4 slabs) of ribs on easily.[p]Whatever size you choose, you won't regret the purchase.
  • mtm,[p]I purchased a medium about 2 months ago and love it. I have cooked for as many as 12 people and have not had a problem with capacity. I have never wished that I had purchased a large.

• One thing that the medium does NOT do as well as a large is overnight cooks. I recently upgraded to the large, less for cooking capacity than for overnight cooking. My medium frequently went out or cooled off after 6-8 hours, while my new large has no problem cooking from 10 pm to 5 pm the next day on one load of lump. I would highly recommend the large for anyone who wants to cook overnight of for big parties.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    DannyO,[p]That's really surprising that you had problems with overnight cooks on the medium. We have a small and have done many overnighters on it without fail. The longest one was for pulled pork, which went for 18 1/2 hrs.[p]QBabe
    :~)[p]

• Smokey
    DannyO,[p]I regularly cook overnight on a medium without a problem. 16 hour cooks ... no issues

• DannyO,[p]I just went 12 hrs with plenty of lump left with a Medium.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    MyBge.jpg
    <p />DannyO, hate to "totally" disagree, but I regularly get between 19-23 hours on overnight low and slow cooks. Everything on my site (and then some) has been done with a Medium. Check out the link. And by the way, that's my Medium BGE in the picture![p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • mtm,
    I haven't read the other replies, but thought I would share my $.02[p]I have a medium. I can cook 5 1/2 racks of Baby Backs very easily. I can also cook 2 whole spatchcocked chickens (see www.TheNakedWhiz.com for more on spatchcocking). I can do 2 6# turkey breasts too.[p]The draw back to the medium is grill space. When I do the larger cooks, as mentioned above, there is little (mostly no) room for sides like baked potatoes or corn.[p]Also, if you are doing steaks, once again, the space is limited on the medium. I am considering upgrading to a large.[p]I have heard that one can buy a medium and then upgrade to a large with BGE headquarters, but have not researched persopnally.[p]It is getting close to eggfest time of year and you may be able to buy one of the eggs to be used as demos for the eggfests and get one heck of a deal.[p]Just my $.02[p]Banker John