Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife sharpener advice / recommendation

James MB
James MB Posts: 359
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let me give you some background:
I'm lazy (perhaps that's why I like the egg and respect your views)
I have a few knives that I like - an old Lion (French - Thiers) and a couple of Henkels (German - Solingen I think).
A few years back I got a very nice knife sharpener - Apex I think it's called. It changed my prefered knife from the Henkels to the lighter Lion once I'd sharpened them both.
I used to avoid putting the knives in the dishwasher and washed them and dried them by hand but life moves on - I have kids now and frankly I'd put them in the dishwasher if..... (no, not really). Anyway suffice it to say I miss a sharp knife but can't be bothered with the work.
I worry about most electric sharpeners because it seems they grind a new adge and I'm worried they are just removing metal. Also I'm not good at steeling an edge.
In short I want a nice easy electric sharpener that sharpens as oppsed to just grinding.
The Chefs choice 120 caught my eye (I found a dealer www.richmondcookshop.co.uk her in the UK).

Does anyone have any good advice? pros and cons / model number differences, what to look ouy for (the "stropping" function sound good).
My goal is a continued lazy approach by just running the knife through a foolproof sharpener regulary.
Thanks
James

Comments