Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Ravioli Pie with Pulled Pork and Ricotta

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, so it was an experiment....didn't turn out quite like we'd anticipated, but still tasted good. Looks like I need some more practice for the 'fests, before this one is perfected, but thought I'd share the fun anyway![p]Attempted to do a baked ravioli, but in the end, it ended up more like a lasagna, since all the individual ravioli's all stuck together in the pie plate! Did one pie with the traditional cheese filling of ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella, egg, parsley, salt and pepper and one pie with finely chopped pulled pork, ricotta, egg, parsley, salt, and pepper. [p]Will definately try again....![p]ravioli-filling.jpg[p]ravioli-topped.jpg[p]ravioli-sauced.jpg[p]ravioli-covered.jpg[p]ravioli-ready.jpg[p]ravioli-served.jpg[p]QBabe
:~)

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wow Tonia. That looks really good. Even for breakfast.[p]You have been cooking up a STORM latetly! I love your little rock sculpture, and the way the egg gets that "built into a mountainside in Florida" look.[p]Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Hi Chris...definately been having some fun with cooks here! [p]Those little rock sculptures were born of necessity....'twas an attempt to keep the dogs from running in between the eggs, but I need to build the mountains a little higher, since they don't seem to faze the pups at all. I think they watch me for my reaction and just love to give me little heart attacks every time they leap through...![p]Happy Monday!
    Tonia

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    once more, your pictures are fabulous. .. .that pie, whether it stayed as ravioli or as a lasagna, looks delicious. . did it have much of a smokey taste to it??. . .did you use any wood in the fire?. ..[p]i've thought about taking cooked ravioli, prior to adding any sauce, and putting them in a collander and smoking them for about 5 minutes to impart some smoke directly to the pasta, then finishing them with sauce. . ..[p]keep on posting those pictures. . .i think this set added 5 lbs. to my girth. ..

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Im tellin' ya...The next time Im in the FL area I am stopping at your place. These photos from are are amazing and starve me.[p]ST
    [/b]
  • QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]The pie was good, just not quite what we'd anticipated...LOL! I did not use any wood, just the smoke from the lump, which I let burn pretty clean before adding the pasta to the cooker. So, the smoke flavor was fairly mild. I was afraid if I added wood, it'd take up too much smoke and be overpowering...[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]We're sure having fun....![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    QBabe,[p]That was weird...the earlier reply to your post from "JK" was not from me, but a duplicate of one someone else sent (above). Hmmm. Anyway, I have a quick question -- do you leave your Eggs outside and exposed to the elements year-round here in Florida? I've been keeping my Egg under a covered porch, thinking that rain and humidity would not be a good thing on the metal. I roll it out when I use it. Am I being over-protective?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    JK,
    I suppose the more moist it is, the quicker the metal might rust. Covering is better than not. But my 3 eggs have been outside with no cover (I am also on the moist East coast) for 4 years straight. Even if you put a cover over it, some moisture will still get in there. [p]I wouldn't say it is overprotective. You will probably get more total mileage if you cover it. BGE makes some real nice covers.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • QBabe
    Options
    JK,
    Yep, that was weird....[p]As far as leaving the eggs out, yes we do. I'd rather have them covered, but can't do the screen room I want just yet. And, unfortunately, when we've had covers in the past they haven't worked out so well. The egg is too hot to cover when we get done so end up waiting 'til later to cover it, and nine times out of ten, end up forgetting at that point. Plus, our dogs (two lab mixes, a rhodesian ridgeback mix, and a doberman) would have a field day with covers...all I'd find when I got home was a bunch of toppled eggs and some shredded covers![p]So, I guess I'm taking my chances, but I'd rather have eggs out in the elements than no eggs at all...heee![p]Tonia