Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egghead, how long should it take to reach 700

dbc112
dbc112 Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg.. almost an hour to reach temp.

I am thinking some of the holes are obstructed.. How long is it taking everyone else?

Comments

• with bottom vent wide open and top vent completely removed, fresh load of lump filled to the top of the firebox, make sure your fire box hole is properly alligned with the bottom vent hole. . ..and no ash in the bottom and holes cleaned. ...i light a fresh load with my map torch for about 30 - 45 seconds. .. close the dome, and i'm well over 700 degrees in 15 minutes. ...ready to throw my steaks on. ...trick is to not stay at nuclear temps for much longer than 5 -10 minutes at those temps so you don't melt your gaskets. . ..hour is WAY too long. ...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    20-30 minutes...tops...why are you trying to get to 700...I rearely cook above 500-550...just curious

light the lump in 3 spots...that should do the trick
  • t-rex steaks kim!!!! i always do 2 inch plus steaks at 800+. ..yuuuuummmmyyyyyyy!!!! haven't melted a gasket yet in 7 years. . .trick is to only stay at those temps for a few minutes tops . .
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Or you can do what I did and used my leaf blower. Just left it at idle and whoosh, she was hotter than the sun in 10 minutes.

It was cheating, and I have learned a little bit more about building a fire since then thanks to The Naked Whiz.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    1 beer, and that first one goes down fast. do as max says and you should be up to temp in about 20 minutes. really important to take that daisy wheel off the egg and put it on the table if your going for speed. in an hour im at 1200 degrees ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Do you actually have any gaskets left?
  • fishlessman
    got to get it hotter than that to melt lead for sinkers :laugh: i think they said it would handle 2000, i want to see that someday :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• yep, thin and greasy, but they are certanly there....
  • i've estimated i've been as high as around 1000. .needle pegged straight down on the dome temp. ..

DSCN1581.jpg

and i know i've seen nature boy get an egg really hot when he's grilling his famous squid... not sure i could get one up to 2K without a fan blowing in the bottom though.. ...might have to use something like real coal as well ....
  • fishlessman
    when i cooked that 53 second pizza i had the short stem 1000 degree tel tru wrapped back into the numbers again, it could have been even hotter than 1200. ive got about 40 bags of nut coal out back but its probably best not to try it :laugh: the bands get really loose at prolonged high temps and the dome is almost floating in them. :whistle: but it would be good to know if my inconel lump grate would hold up :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• dbc112
    I thought something was up...

Was cooking my first steak, ended up at 650 degrees.. Was AWESOME tasting.

I am going to clean the be-jeazus out of it this weekend and make sure the holes are clean and good.

Also everything is aligned.

And a MAP torch. BRILLIANT (Guinness brilliant)!!!!! Have one in the garage with nothing to do.
  • I have a medium that gets to 700 in about 10-15 minutes at the longest. I have a 5 inch battery operated fan that I paid about $7 for that I use as a super-charger. I have my egg in a table and I open the bottom grate all the way, leave the top vent off and turn on the fan. It blows into the lower vent and away it goes. I guess if you had it in a nest you would have to find a place to set the fan somewhere at the same level as the lower vent, but as far as getting the temp up and going, it works really well. I use it all the time just to get the coals burning quicker and then take it away.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i use twisted paper napkins drizzled VERY LIGHTLY with veggie oil to light the egg.

fifteen minutes with new lump, maybe 20-30 minutes if it's old damp lump.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • dbc112
    Cleaned her out and whala.. Very hot.

I plan on baking pizza at 900 degrees this weekend, any suggestions when using the stone and place setter? I would think it takes more time to heat up.

I am also following the Jeff Varasano blog on pizza dough.. starting with a sour dough culture that I have been feeding for the past 48 hours. Should be interesting.