Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Medium and Weber Performance Together

Options
Retired Egg Man
Retired Egg Man Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Currently have a Weber Performance Charcoal and am planning to get a BGE. I have the normal question about whether to get the medium or large BGE. Most of the time it is just the wife and I and sometimes up to 6-8. I am thinking that if I got the medium and kept my Weber I would have enough cooking space and variety for all situations. Does this make any sense as a reasonable compromise?

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I bought a Large and then followed that with a Medium. The Large is the most common, is versatile, and is the easiest to get Eggcessories. It is also not much more expensive than the Medium. The one advantage to the Medium is that it definitely uses less lump.

I can't imagine using anything but an Egg (even though I haven't even reached my first Egg anniversary.) Therefore, I would go with the Large as it will handle it better with company or doing a turkey or ribs or other large cuts of meat. However, you can't go wrong.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Get the large and then watch the thoughts about the gasser....fade.....away.....forever :laugh:
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Options
    I would get a large. I had a performer,weber one touch gold a large egg. I got rid of the performer for space reasons and the otg was brand new. I actually have been using my weber the last few days. I think it it puts out great food also.
  • Dut
    Dut Posts: 81
    Options
    I have the medium and XL. I'd get the Large. Medium is OK for the Mrs. & me but if we have company I have to fire up the XL. I think the Large would be the ideal size in regards to cooking surface and accessories.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Since I got the Eggs the old gasser has not been fired up once.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    My poor OLD oven has only been used twice since my first arrived near New Years at my house. Chicken nuggets and cinnamon rolls.

I've never owned a gasser :whistle:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Retired....I am very torn, here. We have both the large, and medium. When just cooking for the hubby and me, the medium is more than adequate! In fact, I often do roasts, etc, for "the two of us" on the medium...that end up feeding our neighbors nicely as well. I find the medium uses less lump, and responds faster to temp changes as I request them. BUT...at the same time, I could never be without our larges!!! The accessories are now pretty much available for both the Large and Medium, as well. But, I must be honest, if I could only have one, I think it would have to be the Large. Just my two cents!
    Good luck! Welcome! And look forward to seeing your posts. ;)

PS...I don't think we've fired up our gasser for....ohh...maybe 10 months??? It might still work... :blink:
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi retired eggman

You received great advice. my 2 cents, get large,
    a lifetime investment, also once you learn how to
    use BGE, control temp, etc etc, see how well keeps moisture in, very little Lump, You might sell or throw away your webers, LOL I did, there great for a person
    who can only afford under 100 bucks for charcoal grill,
    but the versatility of the BGE is awesome. Good luck
    BullyC
  • Retired Egg Man
    Options
    I should have given more information. The Weber Performance is not a gasser but a charcoal kettle in with the built in table and the small propane tank to light the charcoal. Thanks for the thoughts. They would each be charcoal.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have an XL and a Large. I do a lot of big cooks with the XL but I stumbled on a large for a good price. I find myself using the large for the regular cooks and couldn't imagine going smaller for my only Egg. There are three of us as well, me the wife and the last of three bottomless pits. I usually cook the whole meal on the Egg and when I have to I Get both Eggs going to get the job done. I would go with the large without a second thought. The versatility and the size are perfect for just about everything from a pot of beans to 5 Boston butts on a single grid. I am even in the market for a second large. :whistle: It is still a good size for entertaining and family get together's or just us for dinner. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If money is not a problem by all means get the large.

You can cook year round and after getting the egg you will probably want to. It is easy to put a small amount of lump in the large and cook the extra food space as well as the additional vertical space is well worth the difference.

It is pretty fun to book a 23# turkey or a spiral cut ham as well as just a few brats for the wife and yourself.

When our family gets together I can cook up to 24 people, the most I have done on one large.

The wife an I now have a large, medium, small and mini.

If I were doing it all over again I would get a large, then a mini and another large.

There are a lot of people cooking on a medium just love absolutely it. But most of them at one time or another said they wish they had a large.

No matter what you do get an Egg.

GG
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    Hi
    I have a Weber performer and a medium egg. I have a wife and two young kids (c6 and 2)
    I still use the performer when I'm doing something that takes a lot of grill space - this tends to be the more standard backyard grilling affair - sausages, burgers, aubergine slices, kebabs and so on where I need the grill space to spread stuff out - and that's just for the two/three of us - and that I tend to fiddle with.
    I use the egg for things that take longer like roasting a chicken or low/slow.

I'm very fond of my Medium,I can't compare it's lump consumption to a large because I've never used one but it is better than the performer and far, far better than the (now unused) K7 that takes a pile just to get heat soaked. (The fact that the K7 is too big and cumbersome affected my size judgement)

Perhaps the large would have been a better choice but if I had a large I'd be planning a small to go with it and perhaps I would give up the performer.
    I think the Medium is a little more sensitive to how you load / stir the lump but that may just be my take on posts here about how well the large seems to light.
    I tend to light a partial chimney on my performer and then dump it on top of last time's leftover lump (after stirring it).

On balance I'd recommend the large, but I haven't experienced it I just have a bit of large envy!

One thing is for certain I would hate to be without an egg.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    The weber is a nice grill but it's no egg and not near as much fun as the egg to cook on. Get the large and don't look back. The price differance will soon be forgotten when you load that large with ribs and such and enjoy that extra space you get when smokeing.
    The grilling on the egg is fantastic but the egg's claim to fame is still "World's best smoker" and this should be kept in mind when looking at those whole briskets and when you want to smoke 6 slabs of ribs at a time.
  • Sam
    Sam Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been a Weber charcoal user for a loooong time and never thought I would have anything else. The last Weber was a Performer and I really liked it. However, I just recently bought a LBGE and have already given the Performer to our just-married daughter. The large seems to me to be the best all around, but I have never used any other size so that is 100% subjective.

Great eggin' :woohoo: :P

Sam Chambers
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    once you start cooking on the egg that kettle is just going to sit there, thats what my kettles been doing the last several years. ;) get the large if you can swing it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Large,
    I have four size's, my first was a large and it is still my favorite.

Good Luck,
    Bordello
  • swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    Options
    I'd hang onto the Performer and get a Large Egg.
    I have the older Stainless Steel Performer Touch n' Go and use it with an EZ-Que cradle rotisserie and I would have a hard time giving it up.
  • Retired Egg Man
    Options
    Thank you folks I hear you loud and clear. The large it will be. The wife is already accepting that anything else will only have me going yeah but with size remorse. Thanks again for all the help.
  • Retired Egg Man
    Options
    Thank you folks I hear you loud and clear. The large it will be. The wife is already accepting that anything else will only have me going yeah but with size remorse. Thanks again for all the help.
    I didn’t listen to myself and got a medium and am now years later regretting and have been. Time to get bigger!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    I didn’t listen to myself and got a medium and am now years later regretting and have been. Time to get bigger!
    everyone gets the extra large now =) a large and medium will definitely work though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • coachbriseno
    Options
    I am in a similar simulation.  I purchased a large egg 10 years ago and, to date, it has been the best purchase of my life.  Consistent, problem free, and used weekly.  With our one and only in college, it is just the wife and I at home now.  I was in search of a gas grill for small jobs.  I ended up purchasing a Weber Summit and it has served me well.  My advice would be for you to purchase the Large.  You may not always use the space, but it will always be there when you need it.
    Large BGE (2008) - Weber Summit (2018)
    210 TX
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I’m gonna buck the trend. Get the medium. Learn how to cook on it and what the capabilities are. As the egg becomes familiar, the Weber will fade in use. As your comfort level grows you will run out of room on the medium and eventually replace the Weber with an XL. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    OP already bought Med almost ten years ago!
    canuckland
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Funny, I missed when it started
  • Retired Egg Man
    Options
    Yes, I started this thread years ago. The original regret was size. Now it is size and available accessories. Only question is will it be another Egg, Weber Summit Charcoal or Komodo Joe. Seventy now with bad shoulders and great local Egg distributors. Also have a Weber Genesis gas grill. Having outdoor renovation done with big screen porch, fireplace tv etc with 8x12 grilling deck with gas. Ideal outdoor living and cooking. So weight is a topic as is the hinging on the dome. Gonna make the move soon after construction is done. If you know that drill, who knows when that will be.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I bought the medium from  @Grandpas Grub that he referenced up higher in the thread. It has become my favorite egg by far. But I use the bigger eggs more to accommodate family and big cooks. I wouldn’t recommend anything smaller than the large for a single egg, and to be honest, anything below the XL. I started as my first egg being the L, but using the XL gives so much more flexibility, and from a fuel standpoint, I don’t notice the increased consumption that much. These eggs are like hybrids or EVs, even the big ones use very little fuel. 
  • Jstroke
    Options
    Well, I would try lifting the XL dome at the dealer. They changed the hinge quite awhile ago and I think it would be okay. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I have a large and an XL (at a different location) and my Weber kettle. I still use the kettle a whole lot. Much prefer it for cooking direct for anything small. 
  • Woodchunk
    Options
    Yes, I started this thread years ago. The original regret was size. Now it is size and available accessories. Only question is will it be another Egg, Weber Summit Charcoal or Komodo Joe. Seventy now with bad shoulders and great local Egg distributors. Also have a Weber Genesis gas grill. Having outdoor renovation done with big screen porch, fireplace tv etc with 8x12 grilling deck with gas. Ideal outdoor living and cooking. So weight is a topic as is the hinging on the dome. Gonna make the move soon after construction is done. If you know that drill, who knows when that will be.
    If I was adding one it would be the KJ by a mile. Many more features that are included in the price. My wife even wants to sell our medium egg and get the KJ. Nothing wrong with a green one and a red one