Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket fell apart after 3rd use

Options
smikolaj
smikolaj Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My gasket adhered together and when I opened the lid it peeled off the top and bottom. I went to get a pot holder, when I returned the gasket was melted. Is this common? Does the company stand behind their product - will they send me a new gasket and adhesive? I hope this was worth the money...

Thanks.

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    First, take a deep breath and relax. It happened to me also. My dealer actually came to my house to repair. That failed and they came again and installed a nomex gasket that is still working.

If your dealer is of no help, then most on here have indicated that, yes, BGE will send you the replacement kit.

In the meantime, do not let it worry you. It will cook just fine without it. Many on here will tell you they have been cooking for years without a gasket. I could tell no difference in holding temps or really anything about the way it cooked. In fact, the only reason I think you should get it fixed is that it will help the fire shut down quicker and preserve more lump for the next cook.

Welcome aboard! Sorry you are frustrated. Believe me I nearly lost it when mine came off. However I calmed down and quickly realized it is the best purchase I have ever made. Six months later I bought my second Egg, a Medium to complement the Large.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • schtingle
    schtingle Posts: 1
    Options
    I purchased a BGE 2 weeks ago and mine came with an additional gasket with a note that said that some units in this lot number were experiencing gaskets that lost their adhesivness. After a coupla uses uncluding a 15 hour smoke, I can see that I will have to replace my gasket shortly. It is starting to peel.
  • Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    The gasket is definitely a problem for many of us. There are many solutions to be had. Your BGE dealer will be able to help you. In addition, you will find alot of help here. I have two large BGE's. My first has the original gasket from a year and a half ago and it looks good. My newer egg's gasket just started to give way in the back where the seam was, so I just made a new gasket with automotive gasket stuff. I now have an awesome seal, but have yet to try the egg to see how it holds up. I can tell you that the egg is an incredible cooking tool and a great hobby/diversion/cult that I enjoy immensely. My friends and family love it too!
    Good luck!
  • smikolaj
    smikolaj Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for that piece of information. I will contact the dealer and see if they can help me out.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Be sure to ask for a nomex gasket without adhesive. If your dealer doesn't have one, call BGE and explain your problem and they will probably mail you one for free.

You will need to preshrink it by putting it in a dryer for 15 minutes. There are numerous posts with instructions on installing it explaining everything you need. There are even videos on the web. Go to
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/ and check his video section and you'll see some nomex videos.

Once I got started, it was easy to do and the new nomex gasket is working fine.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Sorry to here about your gasket problem, but not a big deal. Some of the new eggs this has been happening to. You can contact your dealer and you should have no problem. This is what I selected to use.

http://www.bbqcamper.com/%3Ccenter%3EGasket-Replacement%3Ccenter%3E.php
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    I had my original gasket for 4 years. Over time, it had become burnt beyond recognition and I finally decided to replace it. 2 cooks into the new gasket the adhesive gave and the gasket fell into the fire when I opened the lid.
    Using advice from the forum, I called BGE headquarters to ask for the replacement nomex without adhesive. I was told that some of the gaskets were having a problem and they were happy to send me one free. It arrived in less than a week.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    One other thing to consider. After changing your gasket, it is usually recommended that you do 3 or 4 cooks at low and slow temperatures before you really crank it up.

I used plastic cable ties to hold the spring assisted hing closed when I removed the bands. My plastic clips from the dealer would not fit
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Options
    It's all good, a bit frustrating, but not a total loss. I picked up my BGE in Va Beach and fried the gasket the first night. Contacted BGE customer service and Bruce was more than helpful. He told me to contact any BGE dealer and ask for a NOMEX replacement. Picked it up along with some 3M super 77 and went to work.

Let it sit for 24 hrs, the hardest part, and then I did one long slow cook at 350 to cure it. No issues since then. Its been about two maybe three months and we have done pizza three times, T REX sears three times and a 750 clean burn and no issues.

Just a minor bump in the road but happy days are ahead.

Pancakes,
    New Bern, NC