Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago eggers

Options
Poodlemom
Poodlemom Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you tell me your thoughts on Gibson's Steakhouse? Other dining options I should explore?

Comments

• Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    Options
    I don't bother with steakhouses since getting my Egg. It's much tastier and far more economical to just do it myself. I'd go with something you're less likely to do on your own. Ethnic food in Chicago is great. Someplace in Chinatown...Greektown...the Indian restaurants on Devon...a thai or vietnamese place...one of Rick Bayless's mexican places. Take your pick. Most places you can get better food that you're less likely to make yourself and at a far better price than the steak houses. Stay away from the tourist traps at Ontario and Clark.
    Or, if you're visiting Chicago and want to do chicago style pizza, I like Uno's and Giordanos. Lou Malnati's and Gino's are also popular, but I'm not fond of their crust.
  • mcdraw
    mcdraw Posts: 89
    Options
    For steak, Gibson's is always good. The ChopHouse and Gene and Goergetti's are also good options.
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    There are all kinds of websites that discuss restaurants in Chicago and most other cities. One that is unique to Chicago and surrounds was started 6 years ago by people in the food industry, food writers, purchasers, restaurant owners, etc. I've found it particularly interesting because they give awards each year for 'Great Neighborhood Restaurants'. They even suggest the top dishes in each establishment and more often than not, post photos of them.

They do rate high end restaurants ($300 per person!!!) but my joy has been in finding the GNRs. You can search by suburb or by cuisine (Mexican, Thai, Greek, North Indian, South Indian, Persian, Swedish, Polish, steak, seafood, vegetarian, BBQ etc.). They even have a section on shopping (Where can I buy kaffir lime leaves to use in Thai cooking? - Which farmers' market has Wisconsin grown beef?).

Have a look, and enjoy all the dining opportunities that this city has to offer.

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/index.php

DD
  • Carbonizer
    Carbonizer Posts: 188
    Options
    Gibson's is very good as are other's mentioned above.
    The LTH forum dobiedad linked is my bible for eating in my daily travels around town. If you do Gibson's one of my favorites there is the Lobster coctail.

You should also consider----
    Carmichael's Chicago Steakhouse for a great meal.
    The chef and manager are fellow egghead's also.
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    Good Morning - I've lived in and around Chicago for 32 years. Gibson's is a greadt steakhouse - although at a premium price. I can't believe no one has mentioned Harry Carrey's on Hubbard - far and away the best restraunt in Chicago - in my humble opinion. If you're looking for a steakhouse though - I have to agree with an earlier post - Chop House might be the best, although not by much.
  • Mo Daddy
    Mo Daddy Posts: 37
    Options
    You can't go wrong with Gibson's but I prefer either Morton's or the Chop House. My first choice would be the Chop House because it is all things Chicago.

Mo Daddy