Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Orange Wings

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just came up with a new wing marinade. There's a touch of heat, but the major flavor is a pleasant citrus.[p]Orange Wings[p]4 ounces naranja (sour orange juice - if not available substitute 3 parts OJ to 1 part lime juice)
2 ounces vegetable oil
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
3 Tablespoons mirin (2 Tablespoons honey if you don't have mirin)
2 to 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 to 3 Tablespoons hot sauce
1 clove garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper
orange zest[p]Combine all ingredients, marinate wings in bowl or plastic bag for 2 to 3 hours. Drain and reserve marinade. Grill about 250° direct for 45 minutes, baste with reserved marinade, turn and continue grilling for 45 minutes.[p]Ken

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Hi Ken...I'm gonna have to print this one out...sounds great! As a matter of fact, we've got wings marinating right now. Tried a new recipe from Raichlen's BBQ USA cookbook called "Louisville Wings"....the marinade tastes pretty yummy. I'll have to report later on the finished product.[p]Also on tonights menu is another Raichlen recipe from BBQ bible...a skewered shrimp with a peanut sauce.[p]Gonna serve the above with a veggie plate with celery, carrots, cucumber, and grape tomatoes.[p]Mmmmm!
    Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe,[p]Have you tried Gulf Coast Shrimp from that book? It made a shrimp-eater out of me .... in fact, that's what I'm having tonight, grilled on my new Homer Simpson kettle ~~~~~~~~[p]Lee
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    QSis,[p]Hi Lee, yes we tried that recipe a little while ago after seeing you make the suggestion in another post and it was most excellent! He really has some wonderful recipes to offer in all of his books. "How to Grill" is nice with all of the pictures of technique it offers, but I also love the stories in the new one "BBQ USA"....[p]Tonia
    :~)

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Hey Ken,
    I can't ever find sour oj up here. Have you done it with the sub? I have yet to duplicate the Oaxacan chicken stands' chicken. I know there is sour orange and achiote. I'm pretty sure there is pineapple garlic onions and some guajillos. I will try your orange wings next weekend w/ the sour orange sub. Thanks for the recipe.
    Dan

• Rib-Rob
    Rib-Rob Posts: 66
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    "When Ken Stone talks--". Just made the orange wings with the sub bottled lime juice. Killer! Onliest thing is, that I have to cook them a lot longer than the 45 minutesx2. That is most likely due to my equipment/technique. This goes right straight-away into my "keeper" file. Even old "what's-her-name" likes them. (She sometimes thinks I don't pay enough attention to her).

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    DTM,
    It's only recently I've had "the real stuff", a gift from a friend. I've used the sub in the past, and made up a "shot glass sample" for comparison - it's close, but decidedly not the same.[p]I'd like to try that Oxacan chicken stand chicken. I'm copying this post for a starter: any other suggestions?[p]Ken

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Hey Ken,
    Can you get recado rojo? I brought some back last time and it's a achiote-spice paste. I know they use that. They all cook the chickens the same. About 2 feet over a tropical hardwood fire. The really good stands rub the paste under the skin and marinate it over night in the fruit juices, garlic and onions. In a culture where they always share their recetas freely the chicken guys are worse than a winning BBQ comp person. Everything but the 2 or 3 critical ingredients. Their chickens are smaller and usually better unless you get the 5 yr old hen. Let me know what you come up with.
    Regards
    Dan

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    DTM,
    I think I've seen recado rojo; at least the phrase sure is familiar. I'll give a look next time I'm shopping. How does it come? Jar? Block?[p]And the chicken - whole, pieces? Never been to Oxaca, but I'd sure like to go.[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    DTM,
    Got the following from a google search for recado rojo. Looks like it could at least be a good beginning. The directions get a little hazy towards the end, but I think I'll be able to "fake it". Translation by freetranslation.com, cleanup by me.[p]Ken[p]from The Michoacan Kitchen
    Chicken in Red Sauce[p]INGREDIENTS
    6 spoonsful recado rojo
    5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
    salt to taste
    4 spoonsful naranja agria, or pineapple vinegar
    1 chicken, about 2.5 pounds
    4 guajillo or guerro chiles, roasted
    3 small whole heads of garlic, roasted
    1 spoonful of oregano, preferably from Yucatan, lightly toasted
    1 cup of pickled onion
    3 to 4 spoonsful of lard or oil[p]PREPARATION[p]Mix the recado rojo with the crushed garlic, salt and naranja agria and form a smooth paste. Grease the chicken with a thin layer of this paste. Put the pieces of chicken, chiles, cloves of garlic, oregano and a little salt in a pot, cover them barely with water and begin to cook to slow fire. Continue cooking until the chicken is done, almost smooth, about 20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the broth, add the onion to the broth, begin to boil and put aside but keep it hot. Mix the remainder of the recado rojo with the lard while preparing the grill or roaster. Put in the pieces of chicken, turning them occasionally, about 5 minutes on each side or until quite golden. Serve with a little broth and onion on top.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    DTM,
    Hey Dan, I tried to email the Michoacan Chicken, but it came back undeliverable. Feel free to email me as this "transcontinental experiment" continues.[p]Ken