Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp With Bahian Peanut Sauce

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did these yesterday and they turned out wonderfully...[p]bahian-shrimp-cooking.jpg[p]Cooking on the Large...[p]bahian-shrimp-done.jpg[p]All done and ready to serve....[p]bahian-shrimp-served.jpg[p]On the plate with the sauce and garnish....[p]The recipe came from Steven Raichlen's "BBQ Bible".[p]For the Shrimp and Marinade:[p]1 1/2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly grated black pepper[p]For the Sauce:[p]2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch scallions, trimmed and minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
2 fresh, ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 1/4 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (we cut this in half)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste[p]1/4 cup chopped peanuts, toasted, for garnish[p]1) Peel and devein shrimp. Rinse and blot dry. Set aside while preparing marinade and sauce.[p]2) Combine coconut milk, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large nonreactive bowl and stir to blend. Add shrimp and let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.[p]3) Preheat cooker to high, around 500° dome.[p]4) Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, scallions, ginger, and bell peppers and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, increase heat to high, and cook for 1 minute to evaporate some of the tomato liquid.[p]5) Stir in the coconut milk, peanut butter, lime juice, and half the cilantro. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered until the mixture is well flavored and slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Keep warm, covered.[p]6) Drain the shrimp and thread them onto skewers. I like to double the skewers since it keeps them from rotating and turning on the skewer while I'm trying to flip.[p]7) When ready to cook, place on an oiled grill grate and cook for about 2 minutes per side (they'll turn nice and pink).[p]8) Spoon the sauce onto serving plates. Using a fork, slide the shrimp off the skewers onto each plate of sauce. Drizzle a little more sauce on the top and garnish with toasted peanuts and reserved cilantro.[p]Serves 6-8 as an appetizer and 4 as an entree.[p]We had quite a bit of this leftover so tomorrow's experiment will be to rewarm the sauce and shrimp and serve over some anglehair pasta and a salad for a quick dinner after work. [p]Enjoy!
Tonia
:~)[p]

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    damn tonia. . i'm gonna have to buy a new monitor again on acount of i just slobbered all over mine and took a big bite out of the corner (hit a wire, shocked the hell out of my mouth). . .hhheeeeeee[p]i love the pictures, but when are gonna get smell-o-vision to go with it. . .[p]seriously, those look outstanding. .. happy sunday to you

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    QBabe,
    Beautiful! I hope you'll do them in October.[p]Ken

• QBabe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]...sorry 'bout the monitor problem! Had a GREAT day yesterday with the cooks. Been trying out some different things looking for some ideas on what to cook for the upcoming Florida Q-Fest in Ocala (Oct 10-13th) and then next weekend's Eggtoberfest (Oct 17-19th)...[p]Got a fun day planned today with some homemade pasta and egged creations....[p]Any chance we could coax you down in October for a little fun in the sun? Or, maybe Eggtoberfest?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]Hi Ken...who knows what we'll end up with in October. Some many recipes, so little weekend! Sure am having fun though![p]We're really looking forward to the 'fests....can't wait to meet everybody and see some old friends too![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    QBabe,
    AWSOME!!!!! That looks like a keeper.[p]SB

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    QBabe,
    I know the feeling... We've decided to see what looks good and follow that inspiration.[p]Ken

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    i'd love to do atlanta, but i seriously doubt whether i'll be able to. .. i will be in new holland w/ neighbor brett's bbq team (along with our teammate charbuddy). . .we plan on having a little egg-dinner with the dizzypig gang (nature boy/woodoggies and who ever else they have on their team). .. should be a good time. ..