Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Louisville Wings

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's another cook I did yesterday. Another Raichlen recipe, this one from "BBQ USA". Darn good wings! [p]louisville-wings.jpg[p]Louisville Wings[p]4 lbs chicken wings
2 tbsp lemon pepper
2 tbsp sweet paprika
Coarse salt (kosher or sea)
10 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) salted butter
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2/3 cup dijon mustard
2/3 cup Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce (I increased this to 1 cup)
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup bourbon
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper[p]1) Cut whole wings into pieces. Place in a nonreactive bowl and sprinkle and toss with lemon pepper, paprika and 2 tbsp salt. Let the wings cure in the refrigerator, covered, for about an hour.[p]2) Melt the butter in a nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it is fragrant and sizzling, but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mustard, hot sauce, lemon juice, bourbon, brown sugar, and black pepper. Season with salt to taste. Bring bourbon mixture to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes, then let cool to room temperature. [p]3) Once it is cool, pour half the bourbon mixture over the wings and toss to mix. Let the wings marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 4-6 hours. Set the remaining sauce aside for basting later.[p]4) Set up the cooker with a raised grid direct setup. Aim for 275°-300° dome temp.[p]5) When ready to cook, drain the marinade from the wings and discard. Brush and oil the grill grate. Place the wings onto the grill and flip every 15-20 minutes. Baste with reserved sauce each time you flip.[p]I made two changes from the original recipe. One was the addition of more hot sauce than was called for. The second change was I did it direct on a raised grid at 275° - 300° for 1-2 hrs whereas the recipe called for doing them indirect with a drip pan for a shorter time.[p]Enjoy!
Tonia
:~)[p]

Comments

• Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    QBabe,
    which wings did you like better...Steves or your hot wings...not for the whimpy? I was thinking on cooking up your "Knock your Socks Off Wings" tonight. I have Steve's book too (BBQ USA). It is a great book.
    Peggy

• QBabe
    Options
    Peggy,[p]They were both yummy in their own way. The ones yesterday had a mustard base, which was different than any other wing recipe I've had. Very good flavor with some heat too (especially since I upped the hot sauce in it). The KYSO ones were more like a traditional buffalo-style smoked wing. I'm guessing that neither one is for the feint-hearted, since I like a bit of heat in my wings![p]Hard to say which were best, since I liked them both! I'm thinking about doing an assortment of wings for the 'fests so maybe I can do a side-by-side comparison then...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Peggy
    Options
    QBabe,the Louisville wings have won out. I have them sitting in the spice rub right now and the yummy sauce is done and ready to marinate the wings. I made two changes and added 1 tablespoon smoked paprika versus sweet and 1 cup of hot sauce (Franks) as well. We will see how this turns out. Question? How long did you smoke your wings? You mentioned 1 - 2 hours? Was it closer to 2 hours? Thanks!! Peggy

• QBabe
    Options
    Peggy,[p]Yep, closer to 2 hrs than 1. Smoked paprika sounds like a great substitute...great idea![p]How'd they turn out?[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Peggy
    Options
    QBabe,they turned out great! Recipe is a keeper! Thanks for posting your pictures. You have been cooking up a ton of food lately. Keep it up because you inspire us. Peggy