Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembled or in box?

Egmont Key
Egmont Key Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the next few days I'm going to hatch a LBGE. Should I let the dealer put it together or do it myself. I have a table with the round hole, is it difficult to get the egg into the hole and resting on paver and feet?

Also does the BGE ever go on sale?

Comments

• An assembled egg (even with the firebox and fire ring removed) will be very heavy and awkward to set down through the hole. It can be done, and often is done, but you will need some serious help. Putting the base of the egg down through the hole is fairly easy for one person.
  • If the dealer builds it - will he deliver it? If yes, you might be able to convince the delivery staff to put it in your table for you.

It's pretty easy building an egg. You should be able to build it right inside the table which will make it easier putting 1 piece at a time inside the table/egg.

If you don't build it inside the table or the delivery guys won't put it into the table, you'll need a couple of people to load it into the table properly.

Good luck!

Michael
  • If they are willing to put it together, go for it. This is assuming you can get it in a vehicle after the fact along with someone to help you once you get it home as it can be awkward to place in a table. It's just tough to get a good grip on it when you have to lift it up and then down into the hole.

You will not find BGE's on sale unless you maybe find a rare store closing. The place to find a discount is at an EGGtoberfest...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Typically the only sales are in conjunction with Eggfests which are becoming more and more common around the country. For instance this last weekend here in Peoria, IL the dealer sold over 20 at a 10% discount with eggcessories thrown in.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    All my eggs were assembled.

Hauling them home and getting them out of the SUV I ended up grabing the easiests things to grab.

Grabbing the hinge or handle will most likely take the dome and base out of alignment, it did for me. Using either of those two parts also can be very dangerous.

I was very fortunate the lower band did not release and the base drop and brake and would have been my loss and cost to replace.

I ended up having to re-align and tighten everything once I got home anyway.

An assembled can be handled by two people in most cases. I found I had to hold the egg by the lower vent opening and underneath the base.

Lowering the egg through the table may take 3 people. It can get dicey for two people.

If you buy in the box, I would take the time to unpack and inspect or let the dealer know you are going to inspect when opening each box. Very seldom are there any problems but make sure everything is as it should be and in new condition.

My 2¢ and 4 eggs under my belt.

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    I'd put it together myself, especially if the dealer is going to charge you for it.......unless he will do it for a very reasonable fee. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 25-35 bucks for the service! It will be a good learning experience for you to do it yourself. It's not difficult and you can either do it yourself or have a helper. You can do it yourself if you put the base in the table first and go from there. Believe me, it's no big deal! I've hauled 3 larges up a flight of stairs by myself and assembled them with no help. Of course, I brought them up in pieces......
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    I would let the dealer do it just because if there is anything wrong they will know right then.

As for on sale, one of my dealers here regularly puts 10% off coupons in the paper. Now. His first one was about six days after I bought my small!!! :blush:
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    It took 3 of us to put the large egg in the table. It was actually fairly easy. Had two on top and one below guiding the egg to the feet and making sure it lands softly.

If you wait for an factory egg demo, they usually give package deals on new units. Packages usually include place setter, charcoal, grill gripper, ash tool, and nest/cart. Also Ace hardware run 10off on egg and 20off on accessories during their 'everything 20 off sale' days. Or like others said, pick up a demo during your local egg fest. note these demos are still a bit warm.
  • I got my XL in a box. It was damaged. A couple of days delayed before assembly.

I managed to get my XL into a table by myself and them assembled everything.

I had a buddy build a table for me.

We moved the table to my deck.

Assembly was by myself.

An extra set of hands would have been great for getting the bands on.

A lot of sweating and a lot of cussing was involved.

I think a large would be relatively easy to do by yourself.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    By yourself...

Where you hiding all that spinach popeye..

Michael
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    As mentioned, sales are few and far between. My dealer is having a "cooking demonstration" this weekend (of which I am helping). The four Larges used, will be sold for $50.00 off. They will have one days use on them which of course is no big deal.

One thing you might try is to ask for some discount on the Eggecessories if you purchase them at the same time. I bought the plate setter, pizza stone, ash tool, and grill grabber with the Egg and got some discount.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Do it yourself…..
    It will be much easier to get into the table and it isn’t hard to put everything together.
    Just follow the directions and you’ll be fine ;) !
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Thanks for all your help. Fairly handy so I think in the box for me. Then I will know how it works.
    Found out dealer hear has 10% off everything till 7/15/09.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Our Small and our Large were bought as demos at the Waldorf EggFest. Both were carefully assembled and already cooked on when we brought them home.

Our Large was bought from a local dealer who assembled and delivered it for $45. I had no way to transport it, so delivery was necessary. Unfortunately, whoever assembled the Large must have been having a bad day. The two most serious problems were that none of the nuts and bolts holding the Nest together were tightened, so the whole thing was close to toppling over, and that the fasteners for the bands were mixed up, with the two short screws for the handle used for one side of the hinge. Less serious issues were the dome misaligned so badly that with the handle at 6 o'clock the thermometer was at 8 o'clock and bent tabs on both the screen and the draft door.

I ended up taking it completely apart and reassembling it from scratch. Fortunately, I'd been messing around with the Small for several months so I was familiar with what went where. With three Eggs sinking into the mud behind the house now, I think our Egg buying days are pretty much over, but if I was to buy another one locally I would assemble it myself.