Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

scallops

Options
Robert John
Robert John Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some rather large scallops I would like to prepare in my egg.....any suggestions?

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I do them with my cast iron pan. HOT add butter to melt and some garlic and sear the scallops top and bottom and cook just till tender. If you have any dizzy pig Ragin River DO IT. it is so good :)You can dredge in a little flour if you like.
    scalopsandchix.jpg
    SCALLOPSSmall-1.jpg
    freshcookedSmall.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    How do you know when they are done?

GG
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    From the "Scallop Queen" herself

101_2926.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    usually by the time you sear them they are almost done. I look for them to get "whiter" and not as clear looking. they firm up to the touch too. keep te temp med high. you don't want to burn the butter. oh god Pat that is an really, really bad pic of me :pinch:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    But your smiling,,,,well your always smiling :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

When I have cooked them they are like eating a "super ball". :woohoo: You almost break your jaw because of the boucne back.

GG
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I'm with Julie on this :) Hot cast iron pan,little butter in it,the only thing that I do different is I add bacon :woohoo: :)

009-29.jpg

011-19.jpg

Just a few minutes,and they're done B)

022-9.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Julie does make some phenominal scallops! :laugh: ;)
    I have also done them on skewers, direct sear. Brush with a bit of mayonaise mixed with lemon juice (50/50), dust with your favorite seasoning. Maybe 2-3 minutes per side, until cooked through. :)
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    It's been a while, but in the past I've done mine on a grill wok at about 700 degrees. I put some melted butter and dill on them before throwing them on (60-90 seconds or so at that temp--like others have said they turn whiter and firmer when they're done. You can take them off and cut into one if you're unsure--if it's too clear/shiny in the middle, put them on for another 30 seconds or so.

I haven't tried it on cast iron, but that'd certainly work as well (and perhaps be a little safer as you wouldn't have butter dripping on a hot flame).
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    I do mine direct at around 350/375. I wrap them in prscuitto after seasoning some of DPs raging river rub. These are great. I think it's hard to get the bacon done without over cooking the scallops. good luck to you. Tom Scallops3.jpgScallops4.jpg
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I like to season mine w/ salt and pepper only. I sear them on a hot PREHEATED cast iron for about two minutes per side.

Then for the kicker....I serve them on a bit of the "shrimp sauce" like you get at Teppanyaki style steak houses.
    DSC_0043_resized_better.jpg
    The little flames were sriracha sauce :evil:

Recipe for the shrimp sauce is:

1 cup mayonnaise
    3 teaspoons sugar
    3 teaspoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons butter
    3/4 teaspoon paprika
    3/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    Instructions
    Mix all ingredients together and chill for 4 hours. Serve with grilled shrimp, scallops, etc.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    You could help the overcook problem by nuking the bacon such that it is ooked as much as possible but still flexible enough to wrap the scallops.

Doug
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Aw man, that's freakin gorgeous.
    Tell me more about the Sriracha flames. That's just too cool.
    Thanks!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Scallops are one of my favorites. Bacon wrapped is the way to go in my opinion, but the bacon needs a head start. Pop the bacon unto a cast iron pan in the egg for a few minutes and then wrap them up with the scallops on skewers on direct heat at about 375-400. My opinion is that scallops are a delicate treat that doesn’t need much for additional treatment, beside a decent Pinot Grigio to wash ‘em down with.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Chris,

I tried it several ways but the way that worked was

1) ladel a tablespoon of the shrimp sauce onto the plate and let it sit for 1 minute so it quits spreading out.

2) draw a thin line of sriracha sauce in an arc near the edge.

3) using a toothpick, drag through the line from inside of the circle out towards the edge.

This is also a great presentation to use with blue cheese or ranch dressing for hot wings.

Chris
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This