Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin a Beef Tongue

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a beef tongue and was wondering if anyone has done one on the egg. Don't really eat beef tongue but my girlfriend use to have it as a kid and wanted to know if it could be egged. Thanks

Andres
Zuni, NM

Comments

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I love beef tongue! I get it all the time at a great little taco joint. I do not make it at home, because my wife is not fond of it at all!

I picked up this recipe, from Thirdeye, and have been planning to make it, but have not gotten around to it yet.

Good luck.

Smoked Beef Tongue
    BGE Forum by Thirdeye

Tongue
    Water
    1 Bottle Beer
    2T chopped garlic
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1t salt
    2t black pepper

1. Soak tongue in salted water for 2 hours in the refrigerator. Drain and replace with fresh cold water and continue to soak overnight, changing water once more.
    2. Remove from the refrigerator and simmer soaked tongue in water and beer to cover, with the seasonings above for 1-1/2 hours.
    3. Remove tongue to cool, then peel skin and trim fat. Season with a no-sugar beef rub, paint with a coating of mustard, add a little more rub.
    4. Set up cooker for barbecue temperatures no higher than 250°, using pecan and apple wood. Add a slice of bacon on top. Prepare a basting sauce with apple juice, cider vinegar, oil, salt & pepper. Turn and baste every 30 minutes, moving the bacon to the topside on each turn. In about 2 hours the internal temperature will be 150°. Remove & cool.
    5. Serve, sliced thin with horseradish sauce and/or ground mustard as an hors d’oeurve or on sandwiches.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks, that seems like it would gave the tongue alot more flavor than just briasing it with water. Don't know if you would know, but does it matter if you leave the skin on and take it off before serving or does the removal of the skin absorb more flavor.

Andres
    Zuni, NM
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    08f05c31.jpg

I remove the skin after the simmer step and before smoking. It might be hard to do in you wait until after smoking. The tale of the tongue can be found here:Smoked Beef tongue
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    OK so not there are three things in this world I will not eat :sick: :blink: :S
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is another way.

Beef, Tongue, Langue de boeuf a l'oeuf

(That's French for "Beef tongue from the egg"; doesn't it sound better in French? - rhymes too!)

INGREDIENTS:
    The night before, boil a 4 pound beef tongue for two hours with:
    2-3 bay leaves
    3 cloves
    8-10 fresh peppercorns
    5-6 allspice seeds
    10-12 coriander seeds
    1 cardamom seed
    lots of garlic powder
    a little cayenne

Procedure:
    1 The skin of the tongue should then be soft enough for you to remove it. Do so, then wrap the tongue in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
    Sauce:
    1 Retain 1/2 cup of the boiling liquid above and add 1/2 cup dry red wine, 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of garlic powder. Stir while heating, and let it simmer for 15 minutes, then refrigerate with the tongue.
    2 The next day, egg the tongue at 275 to 300 for 2 hours. (I used pecan wood chips for a bit of light smoke.) Then wrap the tongue in tinfoil, adding enough of the above sauce to adequately moisten the tongue just before closing up the tinfoil. Return the tongue to the egg for another 2 hours.
    3 Serve the tongue basten in 3 to 5 teaspoons of the sauce. It will be incredibly tender and tasty. Subtly smoky, a little sweet and very spicy. Yummmmmm!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Larry Maler, 2000/01/17
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    04e5fd8f.jpg

Wanna go for 4?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery