Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What To Do With Those Little Pieces Of Old Lump

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I decided to do some more testing & cooking. You can see the cook below but here is the rest of the story.

I always seem to have small pieces of used lump left over. What to do...

Toss them, burn them off, heck they are always problems with starting and getting to high temperatures.

Enough was enough, most of the pieces were the size of my sizable thump or smaller. Smaller being down to falling through the fire grate.

In my large, I stirred the lump making all the holes in the fire grate and fire box were clear. I put more small lump in the fire box to just above fire ring.

Since I am playing around I decided to light with alcohol. I just put 2 oz on the left of center and 2 oz right of center. Waited 30 to 45 seconds and light the egg.

I used to leave the dome open for a little while then close it down. But right now I am on a stike kick.

Light and close the dome is the order of the day.
DFMT off bottom screen and slider full open.

The usual up temperature spike - 750° then the fall back down to 250°. 7.5 minutes and back up to 300°.

Closed the screen and then closed the slider to about about 3/8" open. DFMT slider closed and petals open about 1/2 open. Put in some Jack Daniels smoking chips in. In went the adjustable rig and the grid. Opened the petals to about 3/4 and the large settled in at 340°.

Cooking in 11 minutes from ignition. Not bad at all for pretty small pieces of lump.

Maybe the trick is not to fill the fire box up full because there was not a thing wrong with this fire.

Went through the chicken cook posted below and now time for more playing.

What can all this little lump do. Took off the DFMT and fully opened the screen and slider.

So what can these small pieces of lump do?

7 minutes later.

smalllumptst2.jpg

smalllumptst3.jpg

smalllumptst1.jpg

This is how the burn grew while taking pictures

smalllumptst4.jpg

Don't toss the small stuff away.

GG

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I use the small stuff for quick cooks in the Mini.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I never pull small lump. I have never had a problem with temp control or high heat.
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    I always just reuse my lump. Only time I clean my egg and replace old lump with new is for low & slow, never had a prob with shorter cooks or getting egg up to high temps. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I sometimes find myself with almost entirely small stuff, especially if I'm using supermarket lump that has been handled too much. Every now and again I have a clean out.
    I usually dig it into the garden somewhere as I read about cahrcoal being beneficial to fertility (try googling bio char).
  • k dizzle my sizzle
    Options
    Can you expand to the alcohol part for lighting? I was under the impression that lighter fluids were a no-no but I'd like to get quicker temp spikes and have had a bit of trouble with consistent easy heat-up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I am cooking at 5000' elevation.

I got a 80ml (2oz) syringe. Fill it up and then put the alcohol (91% only) in a 6" circle. I wait for 15 to 30 seconds and light, then close the dome. Of course bottom vent full open and DFMT off.

GG
  • gtalvola
    gtalvola Posts: 42
    Options
    The last few cooks I've been placing my vertical turkey roaster on top of the cast iron grate, then filling the firebox up with lump to the top of the firebox around the turkey roaster. Having the turkey roaster in there keeps most of the lump out of the very center, leaving a clear airflow path up through the middle of the lump even if you have a lot of small lump pieces. It seems like it's helping me get a hot fire faster and I'll probably keep on doing it this way.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I would love to see a picture of this method.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    Since I started using the alcohol to light with a couple of weeks ago I've found that ANYTHING will burn. This is the absolute all time best tip I've gotten here and it's made my Egging SO much easier and better!!!
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I use 2 shot glasses full (I got the idea from someone else on here, Jerry, I think) and pour 1 each just off off center like GG. Wait a few secs, light'er up, and close the dome. It works like a champ ;)