Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt on a small egg

Big Red
Big Red Posts: 19
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking for a big party (unsure of numbers but between 35 and 60) and my large BGE may not be enough to cook all the pork butt needed. I also have a small egg. This might be a dumb question but, has anybody had any luck cooking a pork butt on a small egg? If so, what changes if any, are required?

Many thanks

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Use a smaller butt and an extra full load a lump. Just a guess, but I understand they will do it. I just got a small and haven't tried anything low or slow. Sure rips for steaks though.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    All things concidered...it's about the same.

I do 7-9 lbr's regularly, (indirect)on the Small...(for as long as 13 hours or a little better).

P1020095.jpg

I think the closer proximity of the cooker's dome to the Butt, provides for a better bark than on my Large.

JMO.

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Shoot been known to stand a butt on the bone end and do on a mini.
    Yes had to add lump but it worked.
    E
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    ive never done it on the small, but i dont see much of a problem. if it runs out of lump just wrap in foil and finish in the oven and you wont know the difference. you might even find room to finish it in the large now that the butts have shrunken during the cook. now to make life easier i would have half precooked for reheating in vacuum packs as needed during the party and just cook maybe three on the large for the event. ;) i like to enjoy the party and not worry about the cook, those butts coming out of the egg would be sitting in a hot cooler hours before serving B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    What did you use for a heat shield on the small for the butt?
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Jumping in here but I use the small plate setter and a AF drip pan. I can get two 8# butts on the small. Turn them on their side and stick a skewer in them to hold them up. Cook at 250 dome temp...It works great.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have cooked a butt on the small and it works. My first one the temps started to drop after 8 hours and I had to finish in the oven. Now I pay careful attention to fire building, big pieces of lump on the bottom and have a wiggle stick ready to move the ash later in the cook and it works just fine.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.