Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

EggCaddy Complete!

BigsmokeBigsmoke Posts: 30
edited 10:18AM in EggHead Forum
Well, it's done. I have completed my EggCaddy table. I used pretty much the same plans as dictated in the plans on the internet. I measured and cut everything perfectly, so I thought. No pro carpenter, am I, however I can usually assemble something this simple reasonably quick and accurate. My main problem came when I slid the Egg into the table and set it on my two inch steping stone. It appeared everything was perfect, until I opened the top, and the hinges immediately dug into the table. I did not holler, but many expletives came out quitely. The palns said allow two additional inches to the space between the top and bottom shelves, which I did, and room for the two inch stone. Bottom line, I have a beautiful table that doesn't hold the Egg as prescribed. Have any other aspiring "Bob Vila's" had similar problems? I really hate to take half of the table apart to fix the problem. Should I add another stepping stone, or is there a more natural looking way to rectify this issue?[p]Good Egging to You,[p]Bigsmoke
·

Comments

• Bigsmoke,
    I'd add the extra stone. I'd rather drink beer than redo the table. It's nice having a high table and a tall shelf below. Or, try the 3 little feet that came with it first to see if they give you the extra clearance. If you used a square shaped stone, put a round one below the egg. It probably will look like you were being artistic. Time for another beer!

·
  • BigsmokeBigsmoke Posts: 30
    Still Smokin',[p]10-4 on the beer- even a moron like me can excel at that. Thanks for the idea on the round stone on top. I thought about some old bricks as a foundation, but I got worried about it being level. Oh well, as usual, on to plan B.[p]"Life without an Egg is no life at all"[p]

·
  • TRexTRex Posts: 2,708
    Bigsmoke,[p]What size Egg are you putting in the table and what is the distance from the bottom shelf to the top shelf on your table?[p]I'm currently designing my own, so this bit of info may prove useful . . .[p]Thanks![p]TRex
    ·
  • Bigsmoke,
    Everyone be aware that if you have the newer BGE Spring assist hinges, you will have to allow a bit more room on the back side to open it.[p]I think the plans may still be for the BGE's with the older style hinge setup.

[ul][li]http://www.kseyes.com/BGE.htm[/ul]
    ·