Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate Setter

Options
Gare-Dog Fireboy
Gare-Dog Fireboy Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been trying to have a BGE Ceramic Plate Setter shipped in for pizza etc... The only problem is that the Ceramic Plate Setter is a little fragile for shipping as the one I ordered arrived broken, the dealer is recommending that instead I buy a Metal Plate Setter that is also made by BGE. Has anyone used the Metal Plate Setter? I've heard great things about the ceramic, but nothing about the metal...[p]Gare-Dog Fireboy out...

Comments

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    Gare-Dog Fireboy,
    Use the FIREBRICKS!!! follow TimM and Gfw advice...
    Bricks are appox. 80 cents apiece..
    Remember..."dont fix it if it aint broke!"
    Bob

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Gare-Dog Fireboy,[p] Haven't seen anything about a metal one, but I'm a bit confused about how well it would work. The plate setter raises the cooking surface, but also acts as ceramic mass. Maybe the dealer was talking about the new "grid extender." Click on the "What's New" link on the forum page to see it. My plate setter arrived just fine -- the box was stamped "FRAGILE" a number of times and the thing was encased in styrofoam. Like RLA says, though, fire bricks do work just fine as long as your pizza stone is flame proof.[p]MikeO
  • Gare-Dog Fireboy
    Options
    MikeO,[p]You are correct aboout the "grid extender". I called BGE about this today, they said the metal plate sitter is actually a grid extender, but I could use it like a plate sitter. My dealer misinformed me...[p]
  • RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Options
    MikeO,
    Where is this "whats new" link..????
    Bob

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RLA,[p]Look to the top of your screen under Club Egg. It's the scrolling banner with green background.

• RLA,[p]Where do you get fire bricks?
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Gare-Dog Fireboy,[p]The advice here is right on target. I don't think a grid extender and a pizza stone are going to be enough ceramic. I have not tried my extender yet but the setter/pizza stone -or- firebrick/pizza stone combos work great. It would think the extender will be ok if you stacked two stones on it. That may make it way too high in the dome though. The problem with the setter is shipping - the legs break alot. [p]Firebricks work great but are hard to find. Don't bother with Lowes, Hechingers, Home Depot etc - find a brick yard or a fireplace/stove store and call, call, call. You'll find them for under $2 each. Get 5-6.[p]Tim[p]pics at link below under MSC Pics
    [ul][li]--Tim's BGE site --[/ul]
  • Nu-Guy
    Nu-Guy Posts: 136
    Options
    Merne,
    Almost any place that sells bricks and or wood stoves. They use fire bricks to line the inside of wood stoves. They are cheap.