Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use of Cast Iron grilling plates for fish

Aussie_Hugh
Aussie_Hugh Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]What are the forum's thoughts on using one of those ribbed cast iron plates in an egg for cooking fish? If you do not know what I mean they are oblong cast iron plates specially designed for cooking fish etc. typically over a high heat source such as a gas range. Le Creuset make one I think but I have another model that I bought some time ago but never used.[p]These would give a kind of indirect effect but I am not sure what temp would be appropriate. Also whether the fish should be turned or left alone.[p]Regards,
Hugh.[p]PS: I have been intrigued with the posts about using planks for cooking salmon on. That is a totally foreign concept down here in Oz. I have never heard of such a method until I read about it in this forum. Does the bottom of the plank get charred? Is it a common approach to cooking salmon in Canada and USA?

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    AussieHugh,
    Planking is not that common but it's been around a long time. When I was a kid and did a lot of camping with he Boy Scouts we "planked" fish all the time. As I recal we even planked a steak more than once. More nad more restaurants are offering planked fish.
    IN fact more and more restaurants are promoting the fact they use "real lump charcoal to grill with". One restaurant we go to the chef and I often chat about what kind of lump we have run into lately. HE can't change too often so he always asks about what I like. Lately I've been talking about the new Wicked Good and I getting him a bag to try.

• AussieHugh,[p]There's even a website for plank cooking: http://www.plankcooking.com. This is where I bought my plank.[p]CC
  • AussieHugh,
    i use a cast iron skillet in my egg fairly often, but i use to sear steaks. . .then pull the cast iron and let them dwell on the grill. . ..i haven't tried it with fish yet. ..[p]but i don't know that i agree that this would give you an "indirect" cook. .. when that cast iron heats up, it is going to directly grill the fish for you, just like if it was on the open grid over the fire. . .and, i'm not sure how well you will be able to control the temps on the cast iron. ..the fire below will directly heat the iron. . .so i would plan on cooking it on the egg the same way you might grill the fish indoors if you placed the cast iron on your stove. . what you will get is the imparting of the flavor of whatever you are burning in the egg as well, and that will add to the taste of the fish. .. [p]btw, i recently heard of a method, where you thin slice some lemons, lay the slices on your grill, then put the salmon on top of the lemon grill. . .sounds good, i plan to try it soon. . .[p]good luck[p]max

• AussieHugh,
    I do the 'plank salmon' method all the time. One side benefit is that after using your plank, break it into bits & drop into your charcoal mix. The cedar/alder or whatever type of plank you are using adds flavor to your lump mix. I did a nice fillet this week with a dijon mustard/dill/sour cream glazing on it. It came out very nice. If you have not tried plank grilling, give it a shot.