Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

membrane removal

Options
Susan Egglaine
Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just do not get it. I have tried going from the middle, the end etc. Used everything I can think of. It rips,tears. This is the third time I have tried, same results. What am I missing????

DSCN3620.jpg

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    When they tear a lot like that I use catfish skinners, they work like a champ.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    .........a butcher :lol::lol:
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I don't know having only removing a few thousand. Start at the short end with a paper towel. Pull gentely. It is not a race.

Mike
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm more of a spares kinda guy, but I just get a paper towel, work up a corner until there's enough to grab and it usually just comes off in one piece. When it doesn't, I can normally get the rest up by repeating the process.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Hate to laugh Susan but it looks like you're about to perform surgery there. LOL!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    there is a membrane that lays on the top of the inside of the ribcage. then there is ANOTHER which sheaths each bone.

if you are putting a knife tip under the rib's own membrane, and trying to take the whole thing off that way, you won't be able to.

go down to the narrower end of the ribs and grab the membrane with a paper towel. it should come off in one or two long pieces along the whole length of the rib cage
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lab Rat
    Lab Rat Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree about the catfish skinners. And the bonus is they are pretty cheap too - like about $5.

I also use them for grabbing hunks of fat, membranes, and veins (or whatever those "stringy" things are between the ribs).
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    Try using a butter knife and start on the end where the bones are the shortest. Rounded end of knife will help prevent cutting the membrane. Work the knife under the membrane right on the bone through to other side. Once separated use a clean paper towel to pull off.
  • Ashman
    Ashman Posts: 375
    Options
    First of all, good luck!! Next, try a butter knife to get started from the bone end. Try and get the "top" membrane. If you go to deep, you will tear the thin layer from the bone. The membrane is rather thin but tuff. Once you start it with the butter knife, use your finger to work under the membrane. Hope this helps.

Gordon
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I can normally get a finger under the membrane somewhere in the middle and then go both ways like Randy has demonstrated. Every once in a while I have to use the back end of a spoon to work my way under the membrane. Hang in there Susan - took me a little while to get the hang of it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Susan,

See if you can get yourself a sailor's knife. One blade and a fid. You can work the fid into the membrane without tearing it. Once you have a little bit if space you can get a finger in and then just rip it off.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Yep....In complete agreement with Mike. ;) I start one tiny corner with the knife...grab it with the paper towel, and the whole thing comes off! Well, right down to the flap piece they often leave when trimming.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    I like to start from the middle, check out this video by fellow egghead swibirun...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF5r8yqIoBo
    canuckland
  • egguitarist
    Options
    Susan, we met at spring chicken's gig last year. I do alot of fish filleting and surgery so this is how i do it. From the middle lift it from a bone and slant towards the meat. Enough to get a finger in. Now tunnel with your finger but keep more pressure toward the bone or meat not to the membrane{otherwise it will tear}. Get halfway then start on the other side until your thumb and index finger meet then gently pull up holding the ribs down with your other hand. Hope this helps

doc
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Susan, use a small tea spoon turn it over and get under the membrane

Ross