Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father\'s Day Help (BBQ Guru)

Options
brookaf
brookaf Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about getting my dad a BBQ Guru power draft control for Father's Day, and am not sure about which model to purchase. I need to buy a whole package and not individual components. Most of his cooking is for our family and will not be used for any competitive cooking. Any help on model recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    I know nothing, but the subject "Guru" might bring some in that have them.
  • brookaf
    Options
    I think I have figured out which package to purchase, but need recommendations for the different fans that are offered.

Thanks in advance
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I love the DigiQII. It's very reliable and has the LED readout (among other handy features), so when cooking something that requires an over nighter, you can see the large red numbers telling you the temperature so you can go back to sleep. I highly recommend the DigiQ II. BTW...between the 2 fans, get the 10cm fan as opposed to the 4: http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/PC/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=235
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I have the dig1Q2 and the 10cfm fan for my large. I would go to the bbq guru site and see what they have. I'm very happy with mine and use it on a large.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I would recommend the DigiQII. I have found it very reliable for long cooks. You are right in getting the complete package. I would get the 10 CFM pit viper as it workdk on the large and the medium egg.

I would also recommend that you buy a case to store it when not being used. I use a camera case and it works great.

Hope this helps
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have a DigiQ2 with a 10cfm fan works great. If you need an adopted father you are welcome to come here with that kind of present! :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You might want to get the 10CFM blower. It can handle anything and it has a damper on it to let you restrict the output when you are doing low temperature cooking. It's only a few dollars more that the 4CFM model. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • brookaf
    Options
    Hahaha. I will keep that in mind.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If your husband is a techie, one who likes light, bells and whistles, look at the CyberQ or the Stoker (different brand).

I have the DigiQII (q2) and a Stoker. I love lights bells and whistles. However, I mostly use the q2.

I called the Guru Guys and talked to the owner, Fred Sr to ask advice on what to get for my large.

He said get the Viper fan 10cmf I am glad I did and I can (an do) close the blower flow down to less than 1/2.

If you get the q2 also also pick up a Maverick ET-73 (Redi Check) dual probe thermometer which is about $40 on the internet.

It is great with the q2. At night I use both the q2 & ET-73 so I can take the remote receiver in the bedroom and I will get an alarm if the pit temperature goes too low or too high or if the meat cooks too fast.

Your husband will love the gift and it will be used a lot.

GG