Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need help with tuna

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm going to throw on a couple of tuna's tonight and need help with cooking time, temp inside the egg, and what pre-cooking marination should be used.
thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    rookie, Marinate in extra-virgin olive oil, adding herbs, if you like. I don't like my tuna rare, so cook it over medium-high heat until it's done to your liking. JCA

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    tuna.gif
    <p />rookie,[p]I like sushi grade tuna VERY rare (almost raw in the middle). I seared for about a minute and a half per side. As J Appledog said, I recommend coating with herb olive oil. I sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds when finished, and sliced thin (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, against the grain).[p]Smokey

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Here’s something I saw on the Food Network and adapted for the Egg. If I remember correctly, I got the temp up to 750+ to sear, then shut things down, just like I do with a steak. [p]http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_19290,00.html[/p]

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    rookie,
    I marinade mine in a bit of olive oil, lime juice and pepper. Grill about 500* until the outside loses it's pink, then remove. Inside should be a good med rare. Fantastic!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Jeff J
    Jeff J Posts: 55
    Options
    rookie,
    I think it was Q-babe who had a great asian style tuna receipe on here awhile back, search for it, I've done it many times and its always great. I hate fish and wouldn't touch that raw looking stuff for anything, I like mine solid, I cook at 550 for something like 5 min side. Good luck,

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    rookie, Tuna is really great with a fruit salsa. JCA

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    rookie,[p]Here's the link to one of my favorite recipes for tuna and the egg. Keep a close eye on it...I walked away for what I thought was an inconsequential amount of time and ended up overcooking it just a bit (I like a good med-rare). What I ended up with wasn't charcoal, and was still VERY tasty, just overcooked. [p]Look for the recipe in my response to Big Murth.[p]Enjoy,
    QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]Oriental Tuna Thread[/ul]
  • Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    Hello Wardster,[p]Is that dome up or down? If down then how often do you check for the outside to lose its pink? About how long each side? How thick are the steaks?[p]Sorry about the 1,001 questions![p]Regards,
    Hugh.
    PS: I like the simplicity of your marinade. In my view fish should not be over powered with added flavours.