Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken help needed!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HELP NEEDED!!
I have tried many recipes,rubs,merinades and methods of cooking.
Every time the smoke flavor is overwelming and covers all the chicken flavor. I fill her up with fresh lump,light it with mapp and bring it to temp,cook to internal temp is met.I tried direct and indirect both produce rubbery almost slimey skin with normal and raised grid methods.Am I using too much lunp or something causing smoldering??
Thanks all

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Carrera85,[p]Yo neighbor, I know where you are coming from having been down this path before.[p]Even the cleanest burning lump leaves it's owns signature "fingerprint flavor" behind when fresh out of the bag.[p]Just one opinion: the day before your cook, fill your Egg up to the top of the firebox with fresh lump and nurse a temp up to 600-700° for 30 minutes or so. Shut down the Egg and wait until that proverbial tommorrow. [p]This should cook out all of the residual moisture and smoke flavor that you find offensive. All that should be left is virtually pure heat. Give this leftover gray lump a good stir and cook your bird. Poultry in general is a smoke magnet, this could be part of the problem.[p]Not being sure of your particular recipe, cook 15-20° internal short of your finish temp and crank the Egg up to at least 400 for the last half hour to crisp up the skin.[p]JMHO and works for me.[p]K~G

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    WB, Brining might also help. JCA

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    weinerboy.jpg
    <p />J Appledog,
    Speaking of WB...Wiener Boy himself...I mean Wiener Man.
    Larry

• Freak
    Freak Posts: 79
    Carrera85,[p]IMHO: I use as little lump as possible and wait until the lump is totally involved. Usually the lump is burning yellow or orange, but you don't see too much black at that point. By that time there is not much smoke. You may have to bring the temp back down to 350 or 400, but that doesn't take too long.[p]-Tom

• YB,[p]No respect! No respect at all.[p]WienerBoy
  • Thanks Neighbor KennyG,and All who replied..
    I will use your advise and tackle this Bird once and for all!
    Carrera85