Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled/Smoked Tomatoes

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]There are a few recipes for tomatoes in the recipe sections, this is not much different than any of them but it sure tasted great last night. Might have just been that I was hungry, they tasted great with the rest of the meal, not real sure but thought I'd share.[p]I was cooking some fresh salmon, caught in MI on Monday afternoon. Man I love fresh salmon. Anyway, I digress. The tomatoes were cooked on the same plate as the salmon fillet, just not as long. Setup was indirect, 325-350, with a hunk of cherry wood for smoke. Tomatoes were cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. I mixed up some fresh basil and rosemary with some olive oil and GOOD balsamic vinegar to make a bit of a vinegarette. The tomatoes were lightly dusted with greek seasoning, I added the herb/oil mixture, and topped it all with some grated parmesan cheese. I smoked them for about 40 minutes, salmon took about 1 1/4 hours. Both came off the grill together.[p]Just a quick and easy way to do some tomatoes and with the garden in full bloom now they are not hard to come by.[p]Troy

Comments

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    sprinter,
    I grilled my first tomatoes a couple of weeks ago after seeing it in Raichlen's "How to Grill". Sliced them in half, brushed with olive oil, and grilled over a 500 degree fire- cut side down first.
    Then flipped them with a brushing of olive oil / garlic / and parmesean. Cooked about 4 minutes a side. They were falling apart when I pulled them off, but were they good!
    I never would have thought to try this. Sounds weird, but definitely worth a try. Like you said- you have to find something to do with all these 'maters.
    -JodyMo

[ul][li]Raichlen's grilled tomatoes[/ul]