Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been trying to perfect my chicken. I usually smoke it for two to three hours. But, I can't figure out how to make my skin crispy. It is not that the skin comes out bad, in fact it is really tasty. The skin is usually rubbery and a big mess, but the meat is nice and juicy. Does anyone know how to get the skin crispy?[p]Thanks!
Abe

Comments

• Pig Sooie
    Options
    Abe Froman,[p]Rather than cooking it on an extended grid for an hour or so at 350 F like a lot of folks do, I prefer to cook it indirect for 2 1/2 or 3 hours at 225 or so and then cranking it up to 275 or 300 F to finish it off (and crisp up the skin). It's been my experience that you get the moist meat of a "low and slow" cook as well as the good (more crispy) textured skin. Others might disagree or have had a different experience doing this.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Abe Froman,
    I often make a paste of olive oil (or other) and herbs, and work it under the entire skin.[p]i find it semi-fries the skin and crisps it.[p]also, toward the end of the cook, i sometimes spike the temp.[p]you should dry the skin of the bird with paper towels before putting it on, and i've heard some that put it in the freezer uncovered to dry the skin, but i've never tried that.[p]my first spatchcoked chicken had rubbery skin, since then, I crank the temp up right at the end, say 375-400 (maybe more for shorter time).[p]i love the skin crispy, can't imagine "throwing it away" as some here seem to do.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Patrick in Minnesota
    Options
    Abe Froman, I've been able to get crispy skin this way: "Butterfly" the chicken, then cook it, indirect, for about an hour at 350. Then turn it skin side down and cook it directly over the coals for another 30-45 minutes. This works fairly well for me.

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Abe Froman,[p]With my spatchcoked chicken I just flip it (skin side down) for the last 25-30 minutes @ 375-400.
  • Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    Options
    Abe Froman,
    That sounds like a long time to cook a bird. When I do a whole chicken, I roast at a dome temp of 475 for about 1 and 1/2 hours. When I spatchock, as I just did last night, I do 20 minutes per side at 400. The former is typically indirect, the latter directly over the coals. Skin is crispy and meat is moist. Prick the thigh with a skewer, if the juice runs clear the bird is done.

• ColoradoCook
    Options
    Abe Froman,[p]Good advice below. Cook's Illustrated recommends putting the bird on a rack over over a drip pan (cookie sheet for example) and setting it in the frig over night. I like rubbing my chickens with a rub paste then setting it in the frig. Following the advice below, thereafter, will guarantee crispy skin.[p]Good luck,[p]CC