Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I gotta do 4 butts for Saturday

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to prepare 4 butts for a party Saturday. I have a few questions though. I am going to do 2 today, and 2 either Thursday or Friday. I will pull them and vaccum seal them for safe keep. I will be working out of a small kitchen that only has a microwave and some catering pans with the sterno under them. My question is this... how well does pulled pork keep moist when warmed this way? and what measures should i take to keep it moist? I usually do not add any sauce or anything to my pulled pork, but i will be adding bbq sauce to 1/2 of it, and the other 1/2 will be plain. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
Seth

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    One more question about the yield I should expect... I have 32 lbs of butts, all 4 about 8 lbs each. With about a 60% yield after the cook and considering the bone, i figure i will end up with about 15lbs of pulled pork. How many sammiches does this figure to be using small buns? Is there a number to figure per sammich(ie oz's per bun)?
    Again, thanks
    Seth

• VaDave
    VaDave Posts: 21
    Options
    Seth Howard,[p]Let's see if I can answer a few of your questions:[p]First, on reheating it, you'll find that pulled pork does surprisingly well when reheated in a microwave. I think this is because when it's cooked properly, all of the collagens and connective tissues have broken down. When it's microwaved, it doesn't tighten up or get tough at all (unlike normal meats). So just cover it with a piece of wax paper or a loose paper towel to contain the steam, and nuke away.[p]Second, one rule of thumb I heard was that you lose about 30% of the weight when cooking, so one pound uncooked will feed from 2-4 people. (I've found that it's at least 4 people most times)[p]Third, if you have a large egg, there's no reason you can't cook all 4 butts at once and save yourself some hassle. Just throw all four on the top rack over the drip pan (and firebricks or platesetter).[p]Good luck!
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    seth,[p]Here is a link to a pdf file with a formula for estimating the amount of pork on p. 11. Good luck!
    [ul][li]Food Estimate[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    seth, figure 2.4 servngs per pound of uncooked pork (including bone and all). That should give you 76+ sammiches (about 1/4 pound per sammich)