Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, no rub.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping that someone out there has done a brisket with just a little salt and pepper, then smoked it with a little hickory. I'm on the Atkins diet, and all the rub recipes I see have way too much sugar. So if any of you have had success with a rubless brisket, please enlighten me. [p]Andy

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Andy,
    I cooked a 11# brisket with French's yellow mustard,salt and pepper...It turned out very good.
    Larry

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Andy,[p]Send a quick e-mail to Chris @ Dizzypigbbq.com. I think he was working on a rub using Splenda instead of sugar.
    Mac

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Mac in NC , What a good idea, I'll have to try that! JCA

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    I think it was Bluesmoke(Ken Stone) working on the rub using Splenda.
    Larry

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Andy,[p]Nature Boy and Qfan make a sugarless rub -- Cowlick Steak Rub -- which is great on a brisket! If you don't have time to order any, I have often done them with salt, pepper, onion pwdr, garlic pwdr, and some chili pwdr or cayenne if you like a little heat. Works great. No proportions to give you as I just eyeball it like I'm seasoning a steak.[p]BTW, I do Adkins as well, and I don't really worry about the sugar in rubs. I figure that the amt I eat on a sliced brisket with rub just on the outside is small enough to fit into the number of carbs I can eat in a day. 20lbs off, and have kept it there for 4 months.[p]Good luck![p]Rich G.
  • I have a great sugarless texas rub receipe at home. Will e-mail it to you for your brisket. I to am doing Atkins, 42 pounds since first of the year, I don't worry to much about the sugar in the rubs. I have noticed however an immediate gain after a competetion weekend or a big Q weekend but I am sure this is the salt in the rub and not the sugar. Gain goes away in a couple of days after drinking lots of water.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    YB,[p]Ken's rug is good! Never tried it on brisket, but was great on a butt!
  • MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Options
    Andy,
    I use nothing but kosher salt peper caynne and chili pepper for a simple rub. the taste is wonderful.[p]
    MR H[p].

• Thanks for all the input. I suppose that I gave my original post the wrong title, sounds like there are some great sugarless options. I'm looking forward to trying all of your suggestions. Thanks again.[p]Andy
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    His "rug" is good? ROFL Got a good chuckle out of this, especially with the sentence that followed - "Never tried it on brisket, but was great on a butt!"[p]Don't you think you should have posted this on the "BGE phrases that sound durty, but ain't..." thread?[p](still chuckling ...)
  • Andy,
    I've been on the carnivore diet for the last 6 months. Lost 60lbs, Blood sugar down 75, cholesterol down 110, triglyceride down 650. I have done several briskets. I use different sugar substitutes in my rubs. I have used splenda, sweet one, brown sugar twin, brown maltitol and sometimes no sweetener at all. I also use a Jaccard tenderizer all over the brisket. I also mix a couple tablespoons of rub with some vinegar and inject the brisket all over. I have a couple of 12-18 pound briskets that I'll cook this weekend.
    I wish I had the GURU.

• Pig Sooie
    Options
    Grillhauberichtlinien,[p]Yesterday I was thinking that the next time I smoked a brisket that I would Jaccard it beforehand. Does it make a substantial difference?

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Andy,[p]I'm a perpetual Atkins person also. I have cut the sugar in about half in some brisket rub and have never noticed any ill effects. I think a lot of the sugars burn off in cooking. I don't seem to be bothered by the sugar in like Bourbon Salmon either. When you think about it, it ends up being a VERY small amount. In Elder Ward's rub, for example (personal favorite), there is 1/4 c of sugar. This spreads out over a maybe 11-12 lb brisket which turns into HOW many slices? Much of the sugar burns off in cooking a brisket. If you cut it down to maybe 2T, it becomes nominal. I've tried substituting splenda, but it doesn't work well in a rub of this nature. The sugar provides some of that crispy coating and there is just no faking it. But seriously, I wouldn't sweat it...particularly if you're past the 2-week induction.[p]How long you been on it?[p]mShark
  • SiFood
    SiFood Posts: 3
    Options
    Andy,
    In this part of Texas many folks only use salt and pepper. There is even a well know pit master in Waco that does not use any seasoning, just smoke. Hear that its some of the best ever eaten.[p]I do mine with just salt, peper, garlic, oak and/or hickory. Sometimes I throw some onions on the lump just to tease my neighbors.