Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing Advice

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to cook up some chicken wings this afternoon to take to a birthday party for an appetizer. The batch are going to be cooked with a rub -- half with jerk seasoning and the other with a garlic pepper rub (served with a peri-peri sauce). I am going to cook them indirect but I need to know how much time and at what temp. I am thinking something along the lines of 3 hours at about 300 dome.

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I cook them raised grid direct at 350 dome. I like them really crispy so I take them to 200 internal, it takes about an hour. -RP
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks. Not sure if I want crispy yet I have not tried cooking them direct.

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    That sounds like the way I cook wings.

Maybe one of us has been spying on the other? :laugh:

BOB
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Charles,

I do my wings indirect, at about 450 dome temp. I find that this helps crisp them up, and they're done in 45 minutes to an hour tops. I still get a decent smokey flavor this way. If you would rather, you could start at a low temp for an hour or so to really get some smoke penetration, then crank the heat.

Here's a link to a writeup of my Buffalo wings cook on our blog. This will give you the general idea. I've adapted this general technique to a bunch of other wing variants with good success. http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/07/recipe-buffalo.html

Good luck. Let us know how your cook turns out.

-John
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks. It is amazing just how many different ways there are to cook things up on the Egg :woohoo:

Tom

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    At 300°, depending on the set-up of your cooker my wings would take around an hour.

One thing I do as far as prep goes is to trim the flap and pre cut the joint. This will let more seasoning in and make them separate easier. Take a look here to see what I mean.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1997/05/chicken-wings.html
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    I should have checked your website earlier! Thanks for the tips and compliments on such a great resource.

Tom

• tmsplatt1
    tmsplatt1 Posts: 11
    Options
    Charles, I just made some awesome wings last weekend for the first time on my new large egg. I started with marinated wings (tomato based, slightly sweet) and cooked with indirect heat at 275 degrees via the plate setter for 2.25 hours. I felt this was plenty of time as my sauce got that perfect, dark, glazed look. I felt any longer and the sauce would start to burn. The chicken was easily cooked through at 2 hours. If you're going with no sauce at first you can probably cook a bit longer for a more "fall off the bone" effect and just add your sauce in the last 30 minutes to an hour. Good luck!