Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping your Egg outside?

Options
Dex
Dex Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been looking around at some of the setups that everyone has for their Egg. I currently keep my Egg stored in my garage when not in use.

For those of you that keep your Egg outside at all times, how does it do in the rain and other weather? Do you cover it at all?

I'm thinking about building something in my back yard for my Egg, but am having a hard time with the idea that I'm going to keep something out in the rain and other elements that I spent so much money on.

What are you thoughts?

Comments

• RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    Lots of people keep their eggs outside and I don;t think they have any problems.

I guess it depends where you're located and what the weather conditions are.

I had a cover made for my eggs/table - I live in the Toronto area in Canada so we get 4 seasons with lots of snow in the Winter and lots of heat/humidity in the Summer. I bought the cover to keep the snow off the egg but out of habit, I put it on all the time. It looks nice and it protects the wood on my table.

Michael
  • Eggmoramus
    Eggmoramus Posts: 84
    Options
    I have mine on a cart, covered with a BGE cover. I have not run into any problems what so ever. I know several people who have had one for years and left uncovered and outside without any ill effects.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have two larges outside, uncovered all year round in NW PA. They are completely unaffected by the weather except for some mild fading of the green pigment in the glaze. Mark

107-0748_IMG.jpg
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Hey Mark:

I think it's more cosmetic than anything else. It doesn't impact the quality of the cook.

Don't you just love removing the snow off your egg for a cook?

Michael
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    outside uncovered no problem southeast pa. we go from -5° to 100°F

march010.jpg

march012.jpg

march013.jpg

march.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i don't remove the snow makes for neat pix see my post below
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Hey Michael. I actually don't mind cooking in the cold and snow at all. It' kinda cool seeing the reaction on people's faces when they realize I'm Queing in the middle of winter. Rain, that's another thing. I hate cooking in the rain. Need to talk to Zippy and Doug..............
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Mark:

We cook outside all year round too! I'll take Q over the oven any day!

Michael
  • RGBHV
    Options
    Bill:

Nice! Extreme BBQ! They should make a show outta that.

Like I said, I'm sure it doesn't affect the cook. I have the cover so I can easily get the snow / ice off and it protects my wooden table.

Is that a wind chime or a dinner bell!

Michael
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Mark,I didn't build a roof to keep the snow off the eggs :lol: It's just to keep the rain off of me :P Plus,it's nice and shady,and this GA sun is hot most of the year B) Heck,I don't think we get an inch of snow a year :woohoo: Now if I can just get the outdoor kitchen finished :blush::whistle: One of these day's...... :ohmy:

DSC_0004.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    it is a giant wind chime pipes are about 2 inches in diameter.. lets the whole neighborhood know it is windy
    :evil:
  • RGBHV
    Options
    As my wife can usually find me near the egg, I think she'd put it in a different location and then call me for "honey do projects". Ha! Ha!

Michael
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 85
    Options
    For those of you that dont use a cover, do you have any rust on the hinge, band, handle, vent or nest (if using one?)

I know it wont effect my cook at all. But I also like to keep my stuff looking as nice as I can.

I would most likely buy a cover for mine if I decide to do this.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    the egg has no issue cooking in rain, snow, deep cold....

virtually indestructible, as far as mother nature goes
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    no. six years of new england winter so far.
    a little wd-40 every year, maybe, and that's it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • SteveinTN
    SteveinTN Posts: 232
    Options
    I keep mine outside uncovered now for 3+ years. No problem. i wanted to keep mine in a fixed place. I have uneven stone patio and rolling it around would pose a greater risk.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Two of my four ceramic cookers, including large Egg are not covered and haven't been for 7 years. They do fine. If you don't cover your Egg you will possibly find that mold grows inside more quickly so you may need to use it more often to prevent mold. But it's no big deal. Good luck with your new Egg!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    2 years and no problems at all.

bge_lge_snow.jpg

bge_s_m_snow.jpg

The cook cares but not the eggs.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Bill, calibrate that thermometer it looks off by 340°.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dex,

Eggs are happy in the snow. 11 winters for my oldest now.

100_0386.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    My 2 pennies, would the metal bands and hinge be more likely to rust when covered in hot and humid environment. Also, when it's cool outside and you cover it while there's still residual heat in the ceramics, it's likely to cause condensation inside?
    -Gary
    canuckland