Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook = Hi Temp Pizza = Fried Gasket

David911
David911 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I got my large egg and decided to try pizza, which is a key reason I bought the thing in the first place.

Fired it up, hit about 650 with the egg closed but vent completely off. (I will need to figure out how to get it hotter, but that is a separate issue).

Set the pizza stone on the egg feet on the plate setter legs down. Left it for 45 minutes to preheat and get everything up to temp. Something smelled bad.

When I opened it up, the gasket was basically disintegrated. I made the pizza anyway, and it did not come out too bad (not too good either).

So my question for everyone is what is the preferred high temp gasket? My dealer is getting me one from BGE, but I have read here about others. I am a bit worried about the glue that will be used as 750 is hot and many glues will fail at those temps.

I think I need a gasket because I will also be doing low temp smoking, and I believe the gasket is important for that type of cooking

Thanks for your help,

David

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    BGE recommends 3m Super 77.
    I have installed a gasket on my Large and have temps above 600 w/o any problems. When you get the Nomex, run it thru a dryer on high heet as even the nomex will shrink.

gasketsglue.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Adjustable rig legs down on the fire ring, egg feet then pizza stone... That is a lot of ceramic mass right at the gasket level. The Nomex will be a good choice.

A while back there was a craze on the forum to get extremely high temperatures for pizza.

I found using a heavy pizza stone on the top level of an Adjustable Rig with the dome between about 500° to do a great job on pizza. I found it important to get the heat from the dome as well as the lump below.

If I put a lot of toppings, meat toppings or deep dish I will lower the dome temperature to about 450° and cook longer.

pizza.jpg

I don't fry gaskets any longer (still using felt gaskets).

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    GG...I am in TOTAL agreement! We did pies last night at 475-500*. As long as the pizza stone was preheated, we still had wonderfully crisp crust, NOT burnt at all, and beautifully cooked tops as well! The HIGHest we would go would be 550*, and that would cause an argument here.....LOL!!
    For low and slow, a gasket is a MUST.
  • Grandpas Grub
    I didn't preheat for a long time and that was the secret.

I played around with the height of the lump under the raised grid.

I found stacking the lump to the top of the fire ring, adjustable rig and thick pizza stone was just right.

I didn't need the plate setter.

The dome was at +/- 500° by a little. I read the temperature on the pizza stone and the stone was about the same temperature. Pizza cooks great.

It seems the lower I go in the egg the lower the dome temperature.

If I just use the plate setter legs down I have to be 425° to 450° dome. I then can get an even cook top/bottom.

Love pizza on the egg.

Wasn't it you that used bbq for the sauce. I took some spatchcocked chicken and pinapple and some tomato slices and used Baby Rays sauce. Man that was good. I think pulled pork would be good too.

Kent
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Kent...I appreciate the kudos on the BBQ sauce....but it wasn't me. :blink: I am much a traditionalist in my cooking....I will do a red or white pie...never gone to the BBQ point, and probably never will. (sounds like that will be my loss). It was probably a Zippylip creation!! :laugh: :woohoo: LOL!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Just try a small one 6 inch'r. Really different but very good. It is just something you can't think to hard on. :laugh:

Kent
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I've got to add my 450° to this thread.

I'm lazy and don't make pizzas from scratch. Too many good pizza places nearby if I want one special. So when the Pizza urge hits and we don't want to leave home I just throw a Digiorno's frozen pizza on.

Don't laugh, the Egg does something magic to a frozen pizza that a regular oven can't.

450-475° for about 12 minutes does it.

UltimatePizza6-28-08.jpg

Oh yea, that old felt gasket has been on there for about three years.

Spring "Gimme A Pizza Dis An' A Pizza Dat" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grandpas Grub
    I'll have to try that, looks good.

GG
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    David,

I want to confirm that your gasket is a dark, crispy, crumbly black piece of char, not that the glue gave out, correct?

If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

I did the same thing. I had pizza the first time I used the egg as well. When I was done, the inner edges of my gasket were black and brittle (but the pizza was the best I'd ever made). Since then, I've cooked several pizzas, and a couple of t-rex steaks, and have done further damage to the felt gasket. Basically, the whole thing is now black and crumbly.

But I've also done several low and slows (wings, several batches of ribs, and two overnight butts) and I don't have a problem holding a low temp. I did ribs last weekend and my egg held a rock-steady 225 for about 3 hours, with no vent adjustments needed. Sure, smoke leaks out around the gasket a bit, but it doesn't seem to affect the ability to hold temp.

I'll probably replace the gasket one of these days, but I'm in no rush.

I think my first pizza was beginner's luck. Don't get me wrong, every other pizza I've made on the egg beats anything you'd get from a take-out place, but I can't seem to get a handle on how long to preheat the stone. Sometimes it's too hot, sometimes it's too cold. Too bad I don't have one of those handy IR temperature guns like Alton Brown uses.

One tip. If you use your plate-setter for a low and slow, like an overnight butt, and you get fat on it, clean it with a nice screaming hot burn (leave the lid shut to preserve your gasket somewhat) before making pizza. I did a pizza a few days after a butt cook some time ago and it came out tasting awful from all the burning-fat smoke.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I love to hear the voice of reason. I'm a classically trained Chef, worked for many years in many kitchens, and made my fair share of pizzas. Even with the hard core fire brick ovens the oven never got above about 600°.

I know that there are certain recipes that use ultra thin dough with little to no sauce or cheese and they flash cook them on a 700° stone. I've never seen one on here in a picture.

475° to 500° is the most I would shoot for to cook a normal pizza dough with sauce and toppings. If you get too far above that you're burning your crust before the cheese even begins to melt.

I also never turn the plate setter upside down even though all of our literature says to do so. I think you need that air current under the stone to help balance the heat.

Keep up the good informative posts huge Chef in the tiny body.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    You have received a lot of good suggestions. One other thing to consider is to do some low and slow cooks with a new gasket before you attempt any high temperature cooks.Let the gasket break in a little. This is especially true with a high temp pizza cook since the pizza stone placement tends to direct high heat right at the gasket.

Barry
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    I was told to do 6 to 10 hours of lower heat cooks at around 400 to set the gaskets which I did.
    Then I did Tandoori chicken at 600 legs down.
    Chicken was in a pan that had a slightly raised screen so the pieces of chicken sat a quarter of an inch off the bottom of the pan., and yes it was at gasket level, but so are pizzas for ease of removal Im told.
    The glue just melted, the gaskets did not burn, they just peeled off all gooey.
    I lifted the lid and the gaskets are just hanging by gooey glue.
    I didn't loose all the gaskets mostly just off the top ring.
    Does BGE have a glue problem or is it just me?
    I also noticed a crack in the fire box ring today.
    Are these weak spots in the BGE quality control?
    I must have bought the one built on a friday.
    I'm not impressed with the quality of the unit, but very impressed with the quality of the food and the help I have received on this forum.
    There must be a better way?
    I have less than 12 hour on this rig.
    I have spent a lot of money on this new XL with a factory table and all the extra's.
    I feel lousy about this purchase, as I have babied this thing like a new mother.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    David911 wrote:
    So my question for everyone is what is the preferred high temp gasket? My dealer is getting me one from BGE, but I have read here about others. I am a bit worried about the glue that will be used as 750 is hot and many glues will fail at those temps.

I think I need a gasket because I will also be doing low temp smoking, and I believe the gasket is important for that type of cooking

Thanks for your help,

David

I can’t comment on temps for a pizza but to your gasket issue, I had the same experience. I simply cleaned off the grey felt, and then used the white “nomex” one supplied by BGE free of charge. I followed the instructions on cleaning and using the Super 77. I probably did 3 or 4 cooks below 400 before I fired her up. Not sure if that is necessary or not but that was recommended. I hit over 800 routinely now with flames all around the gasket and haven’t had an issue. Get the white gasket and follow the instructions. You should be fine. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Leroy, it is time for a clean burn with the stone and setter....Load it up with fresh lump, open her up and lite dat sucker..come back the next day. Pure white both sides.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • gtalvola
    gtalvola Posts: 42
    I do my pizzas with the plate setter legs up, then grill, then pizza stone on the grill. I use a dome temp of about 550-650. My original felt gasket is still holding strong (although it looks pretty black) after 2 years and many 550+ cooks with platesetter in place. I think the key is that I always use the platesetter with legs up.

I rub down the pizza stone quickly with a wet paper towel prior to each pizza to reduce the stone temperature and therefore the risk of burning the crust. That combined with the relatively high dome temp and about 8 minutes cooking time seems to produce good results for me -- well browned crust with no burning on the bottom.

I also use parchment to get the pizza onto the stone, then slip the parchment out from under the pizza after 90 seconds on the stone which is an idea I got from someone else on this forum.

The only problem I have is stretching out the crust thin enough. I need to work on my technique. because I end up with thicker crust than I'd like.
  • Make sure your dome is aligned properly. My dome band must have come lose last night during a high temp burn to clean my raised grid. as the egg got really hot the dome lifted up in back and fried the gasket. Everything needs to be sealed perfect to keep from cooking that gasket. A dome realignment is in my future. :pinch:
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Um, but the stones and plate setter in when the egg is cold and first lighting, not after it has come to temp, let everything come to temp together, then your ready to put the pizza on.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Kent,

Watch your mouth young fella! Better re read that post :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    :laugh: :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh:

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Kent,

You can't fool me. Us old guys can get away with lots eh? ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    I just shook my head at myself after reading your comment. Oh my, embarrassing.

Kent
  • David911
    Thanks for this info. I guess I'll just use the nomex gasket.
  • David911
    Yes, that is what I did.
  • David911
    I will check this out. I imagine the dome and the egg are supposed to be even all the way around?