Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Pizza Crust

KcLeafKcLeaf Posts: 62
edited 6:23AM in EggHead Forum
I have used a receipe i got off the forum a couple of weeks ago , with the high gluten flour. It has turned out pretty good but not great. The crust is a little thick, and crunchy, almost over cooked, bottom, top not though. Using plate setter legs down then sometime grill sometimes not, then pizza stone. Dome starts at 500 but after a couple down to 400 or so. Platter and stone in long enough to pre heat. Times 10 15min.
bottom open, top daisy wheel on 1/2 opened.
i like a thinner softer crust. What is the purpose of the high gluten flour? Any comments on what i am missing. thanks Keith

• FidelFidel Posts: 10,169
    If you like a thinner and softer crust you need to incorporate more oil into the dough.

Also, I would cook it a little hotter, maybe 550 or so to get more heat up high in the dome to help cook the top of the pie via radiant heat off the dome.
  • johannjohann Posts: 111
    The other day I did two spelt crusts that were thin and crunchy, at 550 or so(couldn't get egg hotter) and they turned out pretty good. Did 1 gf pizza, and that thing burnt in 5 minutes.

The Spelt crusts took 5-10 minutes though.

I know I know, premade crusts :-( . Was the safest way to get the gf crust though. Anyways try a premade spelt crust might be the texture you want.