Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Smokin' T
Smokin' T Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was a 16 hr & 10 min cook. Results were fantastic! ;)

Grill Loaded for Cook

100_0240.jpg

BGE AKA: Green Monster

100_0242.jpg

8 lb Boston Butt rubbed & ready to cook

100_0241.jpg

BB on Grill

100_0243.jpg

BB Cooking

100_0244.jpg

Pulled from grill @ 201 degrees

100_0245.jpg

Pulled & ready to eat

100_0246.jpg

Comments

• OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    That looks SOOOO GOOOD !!!! :)

(I just have to stop lookin at all these cooking pics - I just get hungry! :woohoo: )
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    Looks good nice job
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I am putting one at 9:00PM tonight & ribs tomorrow as well. I can't wait.
    :P
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Great looking pork butt. what dome temp did you use for your cook?? your setup looks like what i use except i use a rib rack to hold the butt. I am still concerned why everyones cook takes so long and all of mine never comes close to what seems to be the norm. What am i doing wrong to cook a 8 lb butt in less than 8 hrs. i cook at 250 dome to 200 internal with a digiQII.
  • Smokin' T
    Danny,

My dome temp was at 250-260deg. I would suggest you check your dome thermometer in boiling water. If it reads 212deg. when the water is boiling, you are good to go. You might want to check the digiQ also. I'm sure if you post your question you will get some good advice.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    I have checked all of that and checked again with a thermapen, everything is right on, so i guess i am lucky that i dont have to cook for long periods of time.
  • Stainless wings and legs ... nice.
    Butt looks great too. :)
  • What's the odd looking thing back in the right hand corner?
  • Smokin' T
    Are you referring to the now retired "gasser"? I refer to it as my storage unit.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Very nice pictorial there. Sure looks like some good food.

GG
  • Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Smokin T,

Good looking pork, definitely a winner. Just want to get a little feed back from the room here about the level of coals, I usually just load mine up to the top of the firebox and just below the rim. I have only done two butts and both tasted really good. The first one took very little fire tending. #2 was a little more interesting. The wife woke me up at 5 a.m. to check on the temp and the fire had dropped. Not sure if this was due to the "rushed" fire building process or if it was the coal level.

Judging by the pics it looks like I can afford to go a little higher on the level of hardwood I put in.

You guys will love this, my wife is a vegetarian, what a woman to wake me up and tell me to check on the butt.
  • Smokin' T
    When I do a cook such as a BButt, I carefully load up to the top of the fire ring by layering it, this way I can intermingle my wood chunks as I build my lump up to the top. I do this piece by piece. Takes a little time but well worth the effort, I feel pretty secure about not running out of fuel on long cooks. Hope this helps.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl