Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small egg ?

Options
SmokinJ
SmokinJ Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can get a good deal on a small. I was just wondering if the small is worth it. I have a large now. I just keep thinking I wont be happy with the diameter of the grate.

Thanks

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    If it is one of those deals you can't walk away from, get it try it and then decide. :huh: As long as you could sell it for what you bought it for if it didn't work for you.
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I have a large small and Mini.... The
    small is a good compliment to the large. I was able to cook a 10 pound turkey at thanksgiving on the small. Yes I cooked a bigger turkey on the Large :lol: Seroiusly, I can't count the number of times I have had two egg cooks at my home. I usually tie the large egg up with Boston butt cooks and want to cook burgers, steak etc on the small. My wife hasn't killed me yet so I must be doing something right :woohoo: Three egg cooks are less frequent :whistle: I will have to work on that one ;) Between the mini and small IMHO would pick the small for sure based on my needs.

Hope this helps
    ~Pharmeggist
  • SmokinJ
    Options
    Thats a thought. I figured I can do veggies and potatos on the small while the meats on the large and when I just cook for myself just ude the small.

Thanks
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    You will find that having multiple Eggs are quite a luxury. Just like you said the side on one while searing steaks or something on the other. I often have the two Eggs running, it's great.
  • JalopyBob
    JalopyBob Posts: 175
    Options
    Some people use the small as an additional cooker. I work with 2 smalls, and usually only need 1 at a time. Small is the "just right" size for me.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I have the large on down. My small is used the least of all after getting the mini.

If I were doing it all over.

Large, then mini, another large.

GG
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    I have a Large, Small and a Mini. I use the small most of the time. It's great when you just want to do small cooks and not have to load up the large with a lot of lump, you will save lots of money with a small added to your large. I recommend it 100% IMHO. ;)
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    50% of my cooking is done on my small now instead of my large. I love it!
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    I find that the smaller egg is used for the meat and the larger for veggies. Sometimes I use a skillet for veggies or some sort of basket that doesn't fit on the smaller grill. The smaller one gets up to higher temps faster for searing too. just my 2 cents.
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    You got lots of great replies all in favor of buying the small to go with the large and i'll answer the same way. Buy it. For just grilling, the small is top notch and uses alot less lump everytime you fire it up. Will also go indirect very nicely if needed but for grilling the small is the winner and as one person already said, you'll use the large for sides more and the small for the meat if grilling alot.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    the small travels well also.
  • SmokinJ
    Options
    It say only 4 burgers fit or one vertical chix . Has anyone squezzed on 6 burgers? There three of us.
  • SmokinJ
    Options
    It say only 4 burgers fit or one vertical chix . Has anyone squezzed on 6 burgers? There three of us.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    It's just my wife and I and I use the Small all the time. The large gets used when I'm cooking for a group. Grab It!!! You'll use it!
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    If it is a good deal, I would geaux for it. The small is just right for 2-4 peeps. Cooking at two different temps is a plus.

Bacon wrapped tube steaks :)
    IMG_2164800x600.jpg

Stuffed boneless/skinless thighs
    101_2656640x480.jpg

Two racks of baby backs (split)
    101_2703800x600.jpg

Bunch of corn and veggies
    IMG_1546800x600.jpg

ABTs
    IMG_2452800x600.jpg
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Like several others here, we have a Large, a Small and a Mini. I always try to use the smallest Egg that will fit what I'm cooking. More often than not that turns out to be the Small. Whether six burgers will fit the Small depends on the size of the burgers. I know for a fact that six Bubba Burgers won't fit and that six hand formed 4 oz. burgers will fit.
  • Cajun Griller
    Options
    I have a large and a small BGE. I love my small. I can travel with it, and if cooking direct for 4 - 5 people it works great. Indirect cooking could probably accomidate even more people.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I do seven burgers on the small with no probs.