Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Sushi

Options
Chuck
Chuck Posts: 812
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some leftover pork and decided to try to make some sushi with it. Rice paper wrapper, rice (duh), pulled pork, broccoli slaw (broccoli, carrot, vinegar, sugar, oil). A couple of dots of sriracha and is was pretty good. My technique could use inprovement but it's a good excuse to do it again.

BBQsushi.jpg

Comments

• Chuck
    Options
    Try that again.

BBQsushi.jpg
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Way to go, Chuck.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great innovasion! Nice job! How was the flavor?
  • Chuck
    Options
    It was really good. I may try it rice out next time and sprinlke a little rub on the rice. The Sriracha went really weel with it. BBQ sauce was not as good. Definately worth the effort.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Ok, I'm sold! :laugh: Where did you find the Sriracha? I've been looking all over.
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Sriracha is GOOD stuff!!! Used it on our first Wok cook tonight ... we keep it on hand and use for the heat in everything from BBQ sauce to thai cooking ... always have it on hand. Find any grocery store with a decent international food section (in the asian section).

JM
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    Awesome!!! Erin loves sushi ... she's from Seattle ... I'm from Iowa ... and now you've convinced me that I could love Sushi too!
  • Nicolas_Kershanko
    Options
    Here is a Vietnamese spring roll technique that I think would work for you.

Place the following on your rice paper wrapper in small elongated piles; rice, vegetables and meat. The size of the piles is decided by the size of the rice wrapper. They should be maybe the width and height of your thumb.

Do this in the following manner:

- Leave a space at the front and all sides of the wrapper, maybe about a thumb widths wide.
    - Place the rice
    - Leave another space
    - Place vegetables
    - leave space
    - place meat
    - leave space

- make a fold on the left side by pulling the wrapper toward the center. It should go over the ingredients making a straight edge.
    - Do the same for the right side, this will leave both edges looking like straight edges of paper

- Now take the front part of the wrapper that you left a space with and pull it up over the rice. Tuck it slightly under the rice. This creates the first part of the roll.

At that point keep rolling, it will go up over the vegetables and then the meat. It will self seal where you left the spaces.

This makes sense?